Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

The Louvre, Paris, France – 7 November

FRANCE | Sunday, 7 November 2010 | Views [789]

After talking until 2am with Nazih we were up at 8 and getting ready to head into Paris to the Louvre museum. We had been briefed by Nazih on how to negotiate the bus, suburban train and metro system and had no problems getting all the way in. The first bus driver waved aside our offer to pay and at the train we bought a day ticket (5 zone €13.65 ea) for today and one for tomorrow as well when we plan to 'do' the other touristy things in Paris. We got out of the metro right under the Louvre and found a line stretching through the whole of the huge shopping centre we were in.

All the museums of Paris are free on the first sunday of every month, although entry for us would have been free anyway. Luckily we don't have to wait in any lines and just went up to the front and they waved us on through, a bit like being royalty really. Kent had his leg on today but is still experiencing problems, the bugger has been eating lots of (very cheap) camembert cheese and fatty spicey chorizos and has put on weight, looks great but his stump no longer fits his prosthesis properly. Again he got to wheely through the halls of the Louvre in a wheelchair, the lift system was a bit annoying at times but we got to visit just about all of it.

We started at the top floor and worked our way down, the crowds go straight to see the Mona Lisa then wander that floor mostly so the crowds up top weren't too bad. However the place is so huge that after just looking at that floor we had had enough of art to last a lifetime. We had purchased audio guides (€6) but didn't find them that good really, each main gallery has information in english etc that you can read. While negotiating the lift system we got to see parts of other floors just trying to get from one place to another. We of course joined the masses in viewing the Mona Lisa and Kent was allowed into the hallowed empty 10 foot people free zone in front of her for his own private viewing, we'll need a wheelchair for his head soon.

One exhibition was odd, it had old paintings then suddenly a photo, of an out of focus guy on a mattress on the floor or a nude guy or a woman laughing, quite out of context. Maybe just making sure we were still awake.

Next it was Phonecian artifacts from Iran which we have seen before in the British museum and down to the basement to see the original walls of the fortress that was built and buried on the site long before the Louver was even imagined. We walked in the excavated area that used to be the moat between the old fortress walls and an outer wall, very interesting and only discovered in the 1980's.

To see our photos  http://cjb.pascoe.net.nz/   (click on or copy and paste into browser)

 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.