Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Matamorisca, Spain to the beginning of France 27 – 29 October

SPAIN | Friday, 29 October 2010 | Views [1139]

Alfonzo and Natasha's house is cool, rebuilt using recycled stone and wooden beams from demolished old building on their section and Alfonso has done a lot of the work himself. They have two lovely wee girls who were a little shy at first but then decided we don't bite. Paul (his builder friend) and Alfonzo were installing new ranchslider in front patio so Kent got an opportunity to help. Other than the work on the door we had a fairly restful and lazy day, the first day in a long time that we have actually gone nowhere. We really enjoyed our time with both Natasha and Alfonso and talked a lot about our views of the world past, present and future. They are both world travellers as well.

After a lazy morning we finally headed towards France, off the beaten track day today, taking many small county roads suggested by Alfonso. One road took us past the tops of hills in a valley like castles and in and out of Cantabria provence. Negotiated our way around the outside of the huge city of Bilbao heading for the coast, the temperature is much warmer - 21ºC at 4.30pm. We are now in Basque country – winding, green, scenic coastal roads like the roads to Piha. Big golden sand beaches and cliffs falling to rocky shores, now and then a surfer riding the waves. They have seats along the coast for people to sit and admire the views but no places to park the cars they come in. Several of the towns we passed were jampacked with cars filling every available parking spot. We ended up parking for the night behind a service station, the only private spot on the whole route.

The 29th dawned a cloudy day and it became very windy when we stopped for supplies in St Jean de Luz, France. We got lost a couple of times on the road but ok in the end, stopped to view a confidence course strung up in the trees – it looked very challenging, great fun and hard work, all ages were left to do the course by themselves, clipped by harness to a safety line but with no nets below and changing lines up in the trees by themselves. Stopped for the night beside the very picturesque Lac de Leon where after dark it started to rain.

To see our photos  http://cjb.pascoe.net.nz/   (click on or copy and paste into browser)


 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.