Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Cumana, Venezuela

VENEZUELA | Saturday, 13 February 2010 | Views [1610]

Costs pp: Taxi from Cumana to Carupano 50, bus from there to Guiria 30

Gustavo took us for a small tour around the town of Cumana and we discovered they have a large unfinished university, many beaches one of which is considered one of the prettiest of Venezuela (full though right now so a no go), has an old historical area with narrow cobbled streets and small houses and has a fort. We had to cut our tour short though as we needed to use the bathroom and there are no such things as public toilets here.

At his home we met his parents Sonia and Alonzo and brother Alejandro, this is the first time Gustavo has brought home couchsurfers so everyone is a little curious about how it all works. He gave us his room to use which is on its own upstairs in the house and has its own ensuite. We spent two days with Gustavo who is 18 and busy getting a degree, he was really good to talk to and we talked about a wide range of subjects including Chavez and the way he runs Venezuela. Of course Chavez is a subject that comes up with every Venezuelan at some point or other, every person we have met so far is against him but Gustavo and his family are firm supporters and it was interesting to get an opposing view and it changed our thoughts a little.

We tried to go and see the Carnival on Sunday with no luck but on Monday evening Sonia dropped us in town and we walked to the waterfront and watched the parade go by. It was full of colour and music, we got a fairly good viewing point and watched the performers in amazing costumes go by. People wearing huge costumes that were on frames on wheels which they pushed around, some were on vehicles but most walked.

Because of the unknown of travel Gustavo and his Dad dropped us to the bus terminal at midnight and we planned to catch an overnight bus to Guiria, one was due at 1am. While we waited we got talked into taking a taxi for double the price to Carupano which is about half way. The driver fed on our fears of the bus being late or full or whatever and also said the Carupano bus terminal was much safer and the carnival was still going on. He lied on all points, luckily the bus arrived after we were at the Carupano terminal only an hour as we felt very unsafe there, the only part of the Carnival still going on was the drunk people everywhere. The bus that arrived was the one we should have caught in Cumana and was on time and nearly empty...

 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Venezuela

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.