Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Choroni, Venezuela

VENEZUELA | Monday, 25 January 2010 | Views [944]

Cost pp: bus from Caracas to Maracay 13vef, bus to Choroni 15vef, 2 pkts of biscuits 5vef, natural fruit iceblocks 2.5vef. Sleep on the beach - free.

We took the metro to La Bandera station and walked to the bus terminal and caught a bus to Maracay. Every terminal is full of men yelling out destinations so you are never going to get lost or get on the wrong bus as long as you know where it is you are going. We were headed for Choroni which is on the coast. The bus was an ordinary one and reminded Carol a bit of the buses in Pakistan, the journey was comfortable and the road good. At Maracay we got straight on to a bus for Choroni, same kind of bus but this one had a super duper stereo system that was better suited to a nightclub than a bus. Some other travellers asked the driver to turn the sounds down (it went down half of a smidgen) then Carol got him to adjust the bass which was just about vibrating our skulls to bits and it was a little better after that. 

The journey was great, the road wound up through forest over a very high pass where it got quite cold and down again through communities living in the forest and on to Choroni a small old town with narrow streets and stone houses and out to Puerto Colombia. By now it was dark and we teamed up with 6 other young travellers on the bus and walked down to the seafront. There was a bit of discussion about which was the best option - sharing a room or house for the night or camping on the beach. The girls went off on a recky and found a great place to camp over a tidal river to the west of the port. We pitched our tents, talked, sang, talked some more then us oldies went to bed.

In the morning we discovered the beach was quite polluted with plastic bags and bottles and every other disgusting thing but a start had been made on getting it all cleaned up. The sea was pounding away on the stoney beach and some local women were in having a swim and wash. Small boats started arriving from other bays and cleverly entered the harbour by driving right up by the rocks and backing into the harbour river mouth. We had breakfast with the others and packed up our tent, they were staying another day but we walked into the little town and caught the bus onto our next adventure.

Next stop Valencia

 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Venezuela

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.