Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Happy New Year from Rio de Janiero, Brazil!

BRAZIL | Thursday, 31 December 2009 | Views [878]

We caught a van from Alcantara into Rio Downtown where we were to catch the metro to Copacobana, unfortunately the metropass was not correct and special ones were needed to ride the metro on this special night... so we went out to the road and caught a bus. Even though Copacobana is not that far it took us an hour to get there because of all the traffic. The bus quickly got full and everyone was in a happy mood.

Under the light of a full moon on a golden sand beach complete with sound stages and huge speaker banks and approximately 2 million mostly white clothed revellers we counted down to zero and the fireworks started! Huge, 5 or 6 boats out on the ocean about 100 meters from the sand launching rockets skyward for about a quarter of an hour. The half a dozen cruise ships in the bay all dimmed their lights and everyone cheered as the display continued. We had found our couchsurfing group after about half a happy hour of wandering through the masses. Amazingly there was plenty of space and the beach at no time felt overcrowded. At midnight, as is traditional, many people jumped into the sea for a swim, not for us though, even though it was dark we still knew what colour it is. Really it was just like Rotorua at New Year on a grander scale - go Rotovegas! lol.

We wandered the streets after the event with everyone else for a couple of hours and felt quite safe, we finally got back to the apartment at 6am.

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.