Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

New country and a new language!

BRAZIL | Friday, 18 December 2009 | Views [721]

Just when we were beginning to feel comfortable with Spanish we have to change languages! We have been told that Portuguese is Spanish without bones and that is a good description. It is more squishy with an emphasis of the 'sh' a sound that is now present in many words. Many words are the same though, enough to be able to follow directions etc but most words are pronounced differently. They are also pronounced differently from the way they are spelt!

Instead of being from Nueva Zelanda, we are now from Nova Zelanda pronounced Nova Zulanjeea. Buenos dias is now bom dia (bo jeea) and buenos noches is bom noite (bo noeete), the days of the week have new names and numbers are similar but some pronounced differently.

A lot of people here speak a combination of Spanish and Portuguese referred to as Portunole. We will do our best..  :)

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.