Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Leon, Nicaragua

NICARAGUA | Thursday, 2 April 2009 | Views [2184] | Comments [1]

With Easter coming we decided we should head away from the beaches where the populace of Nicaragua flood to for their week of holiday over this time. We caught a bus to Managua (40c), but having no desire to stay in the city we changed terminals by taxi and caught another bus to Leon (40c). Despite our instructions the taxi took us to the closest terminal where we had to catch an airconditioned minivan instead of a local (cheaper and more fun) bus up to Leon. We didn't bother arguing and just went.

At Leon we found the first few hostals/hotels either full or too expensive which was a bit worrying, but then we got a room in the Bigfoot Hostal the dorms were 120ea and a double room was only 20c more at 260c so we took the latter and were shown to their Rasta room.

The room was large and airy and colour in red, yellow and green. The bed was dark blue with yellow pillows and purple top sheet. On one of the walls Bob Marley smiled down benignly. It was a wonderful room.

The hostal had a small pool in the shape of a big foot (of course) and a couple of turtles lived and roamed around it's edge. The big open areas were full of rocking chairs and tables for the free wireless internet. 

As you can see from the other pics it is a hostal with a lot of character and we enjoyed our couple of days there.

 

Comments

1

dear carol and kent,
many thanks for your information. could you tell me the address and telephone number of the Bigfoot hostal?
how far away from the Leon bus terminal? is there a plug in the room for my rice-cooker? 260c for a double room sounds very good price!

  peter ng Apr 8, 2009 12:51 PM

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nicaragua

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.