Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Still here :)

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 14 February 2016 | Views [583]

This last year has been a hard one for one of my daughters. Sadly her marriage has ended and living in Australia where you are penalised for being a Kiwi she has had a hard row to hoe to stay living there. Luckily prior to their breakup C had started a fledgling business of doing eyelash estensions and spray tanning. She runs this business from home. Since the breakup was in winter her clientele was low so those first few months of dealing with the tragedy of the end of part of her life and having only her small income to live on this time was very hard.

On my side of things several things happened, of course we were able to help and got to go over and spend time with C but a wonderful thing happened in that I got to get really close with my daughter. We talked often on the phone about everything, I got to be Mum and friend and confidant. It was a very special time. I also had to deal with the sadness of losing a loved son-in-law, and the disappointment of seeing him exit his life and all of his responsiblities as a husband, father and property owner. How easily they do that...  Let me tell you it is hard to be so far away when a loved one needs you. Huge credit to C who has kept my granddaughters life stable and coped with looking after a labour intensive property and built up her business to survival point. When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

Life is moving on, not easily but much more easily than last year. C is working hard in her business and doing well and now has a lovely new man in her life which changes everything :) It's lovely to see her happy and content but hard to lose the closeness for me. The times we spent talking on the phone are now spent talking with him which is as it should be, but I admit to a little sadness on my side. Sadness but happiness as I see that her life is coming together and she will achieve her goals despite the hardship and setbacks.

 

On a completely different subject one extra note as I notice the date today = 5 years up today!

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.