Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Time passes so quickly

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 31 August 2015 | Views [688]

My eldest grandson Spencer has just turned 3! Is it only me or is time going by faster and faster... Is it that life is getting fuller and fuller (is that correct english?). He's a gorgeous boy anyway. I go up every third weekend and help out with him and his younger brother Darcy. I love it and look forward to it but am tired at the end of the 4 days, I drive up Thursday night and come back Monday night.

I really wonder how I managed on my own with 3 young children. The days of the weekend are full with two of us tending to two children lol. My daughter says it's because we didn't do much or go many places and that may be true. In Hamilton we didn't have a car as I had sold mine to buy our home and I only had 2 children and we went everywhere using a big pram. Same when we lived in Kawerau. In Rotorua I had a scooter and a child seat bolted to the back, you can tell this story is pre-regulation days, which Corrin used to sit in. We both had helmets tho :)  If we ever went anywhere as a family we rode pushbikes.

Can't really remember how I did the shopping for food etc. Mind you, then we only had very basic meals, from basic cookbooks, meat and three veg that was the usual. Made our own bread, did all the preserves when the fruit was cheap, tomato relish when the tomatos were just about given away. Didn't have a garden though but did have fruit trees, definitely a lemon tree, who can live without a lemon tree!

So we did more home stuff I guess and time seemed to pass more slowly, or did it???  I remember someone gave me a teeshirt for Luke, my eldest, when he was about 6 months old and it's label declared it was for a 4 year old. Huh! I thought, I couldn't even imagine him being 4! I put it away but all too soon he was wearing it!

He was my big helper. Couldn't really have managed those years as well without his constant support and assistance. I actually had to have a stern word with him once as he felt he was the 'man of the house' and taking on a lot of responsibility in his mind which was worrying him. He helped me with lawns, with his little sister, with washing and housework.

Now the next generation is exploding forth - and I so look forward to meeting the characters they are to become!

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.