Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Turn right and drive 529 miles

NEW ZEALAND | Tuesday, 1 July 2014 | Views [843]

That was what the bike's GPS said to us this morning as we left Denver headed towards Kansas. We arrived in Denver yesterday, after a wonderful drive from Grand Junction through more amazing scenery, at lunchtime to neice Haleys flat and met her partner Te Vita (David), great job picking him Haley! We had a yummy lunch at Waco Taco or something similar. Kent has the most amazingliy moist and yummy salmon burrito. In the evening Jane and her two and Glen arrived and Te Vita made a delicious curry for us all and then we headed out for icecream along with most of Denvers population it seemed.

It was a fun night with lots of laughs and was so good to be with these guys again.

We headed out at 7am for Kansas planning to stop somewhere along the way and stay the night but although it started out cold it was a great day for riding and the freeway wasn't too crowded and Kent was on a roll, so we continued on and arrived here in Kansas City about 6.30pm having lost an hour in the change to Central Time. We tried to find a motel to stay in near to where we are to return the bike tomorrow and to say the area we ended up in was dodgy was to put it nicely. In fact the shops were all empty and abandoned, it had obviously been a busy place at one stage but not any more. We headed out of there pretty darn quick.

Tomorrow after returning the bike we get to spend a couple of days with two of my sisters who are flying in from Galveston and Corpus Christie. It will be so good to spend time with them together again, it's been a while.

I haven't spoken much about the bike we have been riding I realise. It is the 2014 Electraglide Ultra, top of the line touring bike for Harley Davidson, water and oil cooled with abs brakes (hand and foot brakes linked). It has all the bells and whistles and we have enjoyed touring the American freeways on it. It is great at speed but very difficult to handle at slow speed especially full of gear and with me sitting up so high behind Kent. It would be no good for whipping around the NZ roads but it is perfect for these long straight roads here.

And so we are at the end of our amazing adventure, hardly seems possible, has a whole month gone by already? Is it really time to go back to life as we know it...

 

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.