Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Pearly whites

NEW ZEALAND | Friday, 15 November 2013 | Views [596]

Whose idea was it to give us teeth that don't match the longevity of our bodies??? And if they were going to do that shouldn't there be some sort of regeneration module available?? And why is tooth repair so prohibitively EXPENSIVE in western countries!!!???!!!

In my childhood my teeth were saved at the murderhouse by ferocious dental nurses who fanatically drilled, without anaesthetic, and filled all of my molars with ugly silver mercury. My teeth are now failing, I have one missing front top tooth which my dentist has temporarily (2 years ago) filled with a bailey bridge and I have recently had one molar removed so have a hole there. Last week I went to the dentist to be told another of my teeth is dead and I need to have a root canal done. I didn't see my usual Dentist who I really trust but another ring-in, I filled him in on my feelings about root canals and their possible links to, in particular, breast cancer and left with my tooth intact and instructions to take antibiotics and clean carefully (I obviously don't usually) and come back in a week to see my lovely man. So before seeing my Doctor yesterday I went back to see Shash. Great day, full of exciting things to do, not.

Shash tells me that I should leave this tooth, continue with my cleaning - I am rinsing after brushing with a 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide leaving it sitting on the tooth for at least 3 minutes (I read about this on the net) - and come back in 2 weeks. He will then drill my tooth, which has a small hole in it, without anaesthetic, shades of my childhood, and we will then see if it is really dead. No pain, problem, the tooth will have to come out. Another hole in my perfect smile. I guess I will just keep going until I have to get a plate of some kind.

Just to tee up those of you reading this from other countries, I go to the cheapest dentist in town who charges me $260 for a large filling, other dentists in town charge (and I have checked believe me) over $300. I would really like to have all the mercury removed from my mouth and plan at some stage to take a trip to Thailand to get this done. At $45 per filling (I have about 14 needing replacement) the trip is more than paid for in the savings. I have been trying to talk Shash into giving me a bulk deal but no luck so far...

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.