Existing Member?

Each journey begins with a single step... Two kiwis escaping from the island to explore strange new worlds and boldly go where thousands have gone before... . .

Life

NEW ZEALAND | Tuesday, 15 October 2013 | Views [723]

My youngest daughter has just sent me pictures of her new wee baby girl. A picture of her face with her hands curled up beside her head, nose flattened against the inside of her mothers belly. Yes the inside! How far we have travelled. We now can see what our babies look like even before they are born.

When I see my children looking after their children and how clued up they are to the development of their child etc I wonder how on earth they survived being brought up by me. Baby monitors keep track of the temperature of rooms, I don't think we even had heaters, I guess we had lots of blankets. Modern Mums know why their child is restless, exactly when they are hungry or thirsty etc, I think my sister Dawn was like that, I just flew by the seat of my pants. Each day just decided itself. I don't remember any schedule until it came time for them to do chores.

So much information, facebook was regularly updating me as to the growth of my prospective grandchild. How long, how developed, the size of a pea, then a bean and so on. It's wonderful the support system that is in place with doctors visits and x-rays etc etc. I can only remember visiting the doctor to confirm I was pregnant then seeing him probably in the last month. Was that better or worse? Maybe just different. I guess it all comes down to what you expect to happen or are told to expect, you accept what is available.

So, I am in love with my wee grandies. My Katherine is the brightest, most thoughtful sweetheart and my Spencer is the smiliest, most handsome wee man. And I have yet to meet in person my new granddaughter due in December.

About nomad_kiwis


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.