Existing Member?

Brotherhood of the Travelling Mankini (C)

Merida - Don't read on the bus !! Chahupas Heaven tambien

VENEZUELA | Wednesday, 30 June 2010 | Views [765]

 This is the third day in Merida so I'll digest my journal for the blog. I got to Merida after a 14 hour bus ride from Ciudad Bolivar to Barinas and then a further 4 hours from Barinas to Merida. You woudl think that this journey is knackering but the coaches have extremely conforfortable reclining seats with padded leg rests. It beats National Express anyday and is cheaper than flying which is a less reliable way of getting round the country anyway.
I spent the first 12 hours of the journey sleeping as the bus sped through town citites and landscapes through the pitch darkness. My Spanish isn't good enough to converse with other passengers. There was lots going besides the initial scramble for seats as people ignored the seat allocation on their tickets. I followed suit and occupied a seat only to be moved by the disgruntled driver into a free seat which wasn't my own.  Then at one poi nt during the journey there was a guy who started speaking and handing out multi-coloured beads filled with water. Maybe holy water and each colour represented a blessing or a quality. I was about to slip this into my pocket before I realised that i had to pay 15 bolivares for the pleasure. I promptly handed back the bead..
From Barinas the journey takes four hours. There's a sign on the back of the bus seats strongly advising passengers not to read during the journey. I could n't quite understand why. Was this some form of governement decree handed down by Chavez?  As soon as we left Barinas it became clear why? The bus twisted and turned up and down perilous mountainside roads not conducive to reading and likely to induce vomiting over fellow passengers. The view of the mountain ranges covered in mist was breathtaking but I wasn't able to take any pictures as the bus ride was so shaky.
We stopped over in a mountain side village Mucuchies which according to Lonely Planet is worth a visit. Will have to do this from Merida later. Had a simole lunch - arepas filled with tuna and salad washed down with water. Set of again and got into Merida at 15.00pm
I booked into the Posada Yagruma which is near to the Park Las Heroinas. I was met by a very charming Scottish guy, Paul who spoke in Spanish. Rooms are cheap at around 80 bolivares a night (8 quid at the unofficial exchange rate and 16 quid at the official rate)

Got settled into my room, had a much need and long awaited shower and fell asleep. Hmm I tend to be doing this alot !! Was feeling peckish at around 6 and as I walked out of the hostel passed the Parque des Heroinas which commemorates 5 women who fought alongside Simon Bolivar and vanquished the Spanish in the War of Independence. There was a small park fete going on and I decided to try out chalupas (cornflour pancakes) with cheese and swimming in butter. It was sickly sweet popcorn taste cut through with the smoked and salty slices of cheese from cows fed on mountain air and grass. I move a little further from wearing the mankini everyday. Goodbye wasitline as each I felt guilty which each ambrosial butter-filled bite (at least its vegetarian as if to assuage my guilt!)

About nirmal


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Venezuela

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.