Existing Member?

Gringotenango

Day Four (Dena)

GUATEMALA | Tuesday, 14 June 2011 | Views [162]

Nels´s frustration with my poor navigation peaked today when I, again, was compeletely lost.  This town is beautiful, but the streets are lined with condrete walls and city ordinances only allow 5 different colors for the buildings.  On top of that these are very few street signs and there are generic Guate gift shops on every block, so I´m constantly disoriented.  It´s fine with me, but it drives Nels crazy.  Oh well.

After school each day our teachers take us on excursions.  Yesterday the boys and I took a chicken bus to Antigua vieja, Guate´s first capital which was destroyed when the crater of the volcano filled with water and flooded the town.  Wedged in between 3 volcanos, Antigua hangs in the natural balance, with a history of destruction every 300 years or so. 

Today´s excursion was a hike to the Cerro de la Cruz.  When you get to the tops you have an amazing view of Antigua with Agua in the background (see our Photostream).  The police presence along the walk made me feel cautiously safe.

Dinner at the local pupusaria was delicious.  The boys and I opted out of the sauce and slaw, but Nels was more bold and slathered both on his papusas.  (We´ll see how he feels later!)  2 beers, 2 sodas, 2 bottled waters, 7 papusas, all under $18! 

The best part of our day was when Paul decided he wanted to make tortillas.  The women across the street make and sell them, and when Silvia took Paul over he gave it a try; they gave him some maza and started laughing, both at his technique and the idea of a boy making tortillas.}

I could still hear them once we got home. 

About nelsjohnson


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.