Existing Member?

Resetting. Broke, but I'll still travel.

Surreal - Part #5

THAILAND | Thursday, 1 May 2014 | Views [422]

While we were on the minivan to Krabi, we met a Malaysian couple who planned to celebrate Songkran in Krabi. They wanted to see how the celebration is like in Krabi because they celebrated it in Hat Yai years ago and they really enjoyed it and they have been planning to go every year but time wasn't always on their side but they finally managed to celebrate it in Krabi this year.

As for Nan and myself, we haven't got a chance to celebrate it and coincidentally our trip was during Songkran so, lucky us! Which also means that we're definitely celebrating Songkran again in the upcoming years for sure.

I expected to wake up to noise since it was Songkran but it was surprisingly quiet. I walked to the balcony and the street right outside the hotel was very quiet. But hey, what we didn't see what the road at the other side was closed and a two-way road now has turned into a one-way road! We got ready, head out and off to a quick breakfast by the road. We settled for banana chocolate pancakes with egg. But poor Nan, his plate overturned and his pancake dropped on the floor. Off we go to get ourselves ready, you know what that means? Water guns! We decided to not ride because it's seriously dangerous to ride with the water splashing on your face and it's actually quiet painful when it gets directly into your eyes. Nan parked the bike by the roadside and then we started walking and playing with water of course!

We decided to walk over to Mr. Long Bar to check if they are open and we decided to have a shot each before continuing our Songkran journey. Chang and crew told us to join them so we did and that's when we found out that Songkran is one of the festival in Thailand that has the highest number of deaths. Which was really surprising because I never knew, you know? We walked everywhere and then we lost them because Nan and I stopped to get some food and beers and cigarettes. By the time we're done, they are gone so we decided to find our bike and head for lunch. It got a little confusing because the road is no longer a two-way road so we rode aimlessly and we finally found a place to eat which was away from all the noise. That's when I realized my water gun was leaking and I was so sad. After we're done, we rode back to the streets of Ao Nang and guess what, I bought a bigger water gun! Parked the bike and off we go! Another round of getting wet and powdered!

Since we are both so wet, we decided to head over to Ao Nang Beach and grab a quick rest there. And of course, dip in the sea water! After that, off for another round before we head back to our hotel. But we had a problem. The road. One-way road and we have no idea how to get to our hotel. Guess what? We rode on the pavement, and then to the side road and it was scary as hell but we managed to return the bike on time and got back to our room safely and wet.

As usual, washed up and rest a bit more before we head out again. This time round, no more bike for us so we have to walk around instead but it didn't matter. Off to find some food and then back to Mr. Long Bar since it was our last night in Krabi. Damn, we didn't want to leave.

We're suppose to get a tuktuk back to our hotel but Nan decided that we should check out what's there in RCA Entertaiment and the deal was, a shot and then off we go. We went to Kiss Bar and bam, a few shots and a few drinks and a few beers. We even had to withdraw money, damn. We overspent but at least it's our last night in Ao Nang so might as well make it memorable, right?

Got back to our room, washed up and off to sleep. We already packed our things beforehand so there wasn't much packing to do!

And at the end of the day we do realized why Songkran caused a lot of deaths. Personally, I find it really scary to be riding a bike and having tons of water and powder being splashed right in your face. Doesn't matter if you have visor or not, your vision will definitely be blurred.

Oh, so much for packing our things beforehand and having a few alarms. Did you know, we woke up late the next day! More about that in the next post!

Tags: 2014, ao nang, beach, krabi, mr. long bar, songkran, thailand, water

About naddydaud


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.