Existing Member?

Moments to Shared

My First Time Travel Back to Hundred Years Ago

INDONESIA | Sunday, 11 May 2014 | Views [233] | Comments [1] | Scholarship Entry

Lucky me, i live in a country that has lot of places to be explored. Indonesia, a place where you can find beaches, waterfalls, caves, mountains, hills, villages, and any places in your imagination can be found here.

As a traveler, i love to explore many places and i have got a lot of stories to be shared. One of my unforgatable trip is my time travel to baduy village. Baduy is a local primitive people who lives in small village where far away from town. They keep their primitive traditions. I call it time travel because it seems like i have visited a place in 100 years ago by time machine.

That was the first time i saw people who live without technologies, electricity and any modern tools such camera or mobile phones in this globalization era. Baduy people also not going to market, hospital, even school. How about their education? Parents are teachers. Children learn about everything from their parents. They can not read and write but they can count money good enough.

How about job? They do not work because they do not need money. They catch fish on the river near their house for food, they love eating fish. They use fire for cooking and house lighting, they make their own dresses and build their own houses by things that can be found around them. So what's money for?

That was also the first time i saw 5 years old boy was bringing 2 heavy bags while tracked on a 8 miles path through forest and along hills. That was also the first time i heard story I can be imagined. They told me that they had walked from their house to Jakarta (normally needs 4 hours by train) without any sandals or shoes. I said walk, yes, walk. When I asked, "why don't you use train?" they told me that's forbidden. What a strange rule.

If you want to visit their village, you must permit to their leader. Do not forget to respect their traditions by obey the rules and it will be good if you bring them fish, their favorite food. Enjoy your time travel.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

Comments

1

Your trip sounds so exciting.

  ronald May 12, 2014 2:02 PM

About mytravelstory


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.