Existing Member?

if nothing goes right, go left .. opportunity is something created, not given !

be a traveler not a tourist

MOROCCO | Tuesday, 6 May 2014 | Views [162] | Scholarship Entry

I was 19 years old the first time i traveled alone, i went to Malaysia. This was frighteningly exciting, but i knew that i got what it takes, because we don’t know how strong we’re until being strong is the only choice we have left. I went to discover the world, but instead i discovered myself: i am a woman consumed by wanderlust.
I discovered a beautiful country where I got the chance to experience various cultures (Malaysian, Indian, Chinese, as well as a huge number of Iranian migrants) and to visit some alluring places. The cultural alloy, mesmerized me so beautifully, and the natural beauty of the country bewitched my soul. I met very nice and inspiring people from all walks of life, from different cultures and all ages. I managed to do some great activities such as diving with sharks in the aquarium, bungee jumping, snorkeling around the unspoiled coral reef…
The irony is; when I think about my journey in Malaysia, the first thing that comes to my mind is that one time on my way over to the hostel, when I went to buy some Roti Canai, I passed by an old man begging for money, he said to me: “ look with your eyes, act with your heart”, i was moved by his words, so i came back to him, i asked him if i could join him, he answered: “yes yes”, so i sat next to him, and we shared the Roti Canai, and an amazing conversation.
We spoke about everything and nothing; he shared with me so many stories, and gave me so many advices about life.
When I was about to go back to the hostel, I asked him if he has a home, he answered “I don’t have a home, no one have a home, we came to this life naked, and we will leave it so! Nothing belongs to us besides our good and bad deeds. When it comes to material things, we’re just borrowers, but people are drowning in their own greed, they want to possess so many things, but actually those things are possessing them, after all, we go to our graves empty handed.
My home is everywhere I go, and you should do the same; that way you’ll not just ‘see’ the place, you’ll experience it, and if you learn to experience the places you visit, you will be alive and rich in character, but if you don’t; you will be just a tourist”
To sum up, while traveling I keep in mind that I should mix and mingle with everyone, because i never know with whom I’ll have that great talk.
So if you’re a true traveler, and while moving to new places, try to connect with the whole nation (rich and poor, old and young) that will give you a full experience.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About muse


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Morocco

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.