Existing Member?

'Till The Next Crossing

A Hitch Hiker's Tale

INDIA | Friday, 2 May 2014 | Views [494] | Comments [8] | Scholarship Entry

It wasn't a sudden impulse at all. Everything was neatly unplanned. I have been conjuring this “unplan” for a whole semester. Only the few minor details were left out, one of them being the destination! All I knew was, I have to go somewhere, as far as possible, by hitch hiking! Then I mapped it out! Chitradurga, a nice little hilly town with a good old castle, in interior Karnataka, 250 miles from my College Hostel.
I was standing on the NH17 at midnight for half an hour, tirelessly hanging my left hand in the air with an erect thumb.
A bunch of late-night-party-goers came to the rescue! Driving a crowded car, these kids were going to Manipal, a heaven for night clubbers! Loud music, a few bottles on the floor and a few pair of red eyes greeted me! I had no choice but to find a seat! They took me up to Udupi, some 42 km from where I started. I thanked them, and off they went to party, leaving me in a deserted Bus Station.
It was so silent, that I could hear my wrist watch ticking! I was pondering for other options when a sainlty looking man drove up in his Unicorn! Fortunately, he was going in my direction and agreed to drop me till Tirthahalli, a place I've never heard of before!
The unicorn was fabulous! It left the NH17 and took us through the dark jungles and the meandering roads of the Western Ghat! It was a cold , starry night, out in the middle of no where, with fearsome screams from the jungly neighborhood! A copybook adventure!
My bizarre journey in the antiquated vehicle continued for another hour or so, and not a word did we speak in the meantime! He let me go at the ghostly town.
The night time traffic consisted only of large-bellied trucks. I managed to stop a massive one. The Marathi trucker was pretty happy to have a company!
I didn't realize when I fell asleep. When I woke up, the sky in the East horizon was starting to fade. We had stopped at a level-crossing. I had an urge to pee.
As I emptied myself, up popped the sun from the corn field, and the horizon cleared at once. The great old fort was visible from a distance on the top of a giant stony hill. Chitradurga beckons. We waited, while a freight train with an eternity of fatigue on its wheels passed by into the unknown. Who knows when it started? Who knows how far it has to go? Who knows how many lands it had seen? I wished to be on a journey like the train. Without a hurry to finish, without a worry to take care of... Wherever I'll stop, will be my destination.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

Comments

1

Such a beauty! Hats off!!

  bipashyee May 8, 2014 10:56 AM

2

read your entry. have to say it is grossly incompetent. if this is your best work, you should reconsider your participation.

  bleh May 8, 2014 3:39 PM

3

bleh... the way you have commented over here, you know, you should reconsider whether you deserve to be called a gentleman/woman or not! =D

  Godfather May 9, 2014 4:05 AM

4

godfather. please grow up. that was an "epic fail" on your part. if you want to poke people into losing their cool on the internet, you gots to do better, son.

  bleh May 9, 2014 4:16 AM

5

Dear Bleh, any suggestion to make it better?

Dear Godfather, focusing on my travelogue, what are your views on that?

  MusafirUjan May 9, 2014 4:34 PM

6

"musafir". i could afford you only that one read. i don't recall much except your act of siphoning. why would you want your readers to get that image?

  ble ble bleh May 12, 2014 1:52 AM

7

heyaa retard...get a life.. nobody is interested where you pee ..holy piece of shit you wrote

  meh May 12, 2014 1:59 AM

8

Reading the last few comments, I am extremely disheartened to see how people can be rude in public forum.This is not the right way of criticism. I agree with Godfather. Since I too participated in the contest, let me tell you guys 1 thing : there have been 3 topics and one may or may not like each and everything.But that doesn't mean the writing becomes bad. The other thing is , it has been clearly stated in the competition that a " professional writer " can't participate and this is a platform for the aspiring writers. So my dear blehs and mehs, if you expect a Salman Rushdie or Garcia Marquez here, then please go to some other place since you can't appreciate the new comers. I am too accoutered with 'slang' but I know the value of self esteem and so does the writer of this piece of literature :)

  exploreraparajita May 16, 2014 11:50 PM

About musafirujan


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.