Existing Member?

Murray & Rhonda on the road An occasional record of our travels in Kenya, Tanzania, Botswana and South Africa.

Masai Mara

KENYA | Saturday, 6 September 2008 | Views [8189] | Comments [3]

Maasai Warriors

Maasai Warriors

After a long and very bumpy jouney we arrived in the Masai Mara.  On our way to the Kicheche camp we encountered a Cheetah, just lazing under a tree.  She let us get very close and was just stunning.  After that the game watching was looking good.  The Kicheche camp where we stayed was very upmarket camping with an ensuite, great food and even hotwater bottles in our bed at night. We did a series of game drives seeing - lions, wilderbeast, gazelles, impala, zebra, dikdik, hyena, topi, jackels, buffalo, Hippos, Elephants, mongoose, lots of birds.  The highlight was seeing leopards - one day we saw a one year old on its own and then the next day we saw its mother up a tree with a Gazelle it had killed.  She fed and then after her 2 one year old cubs wouldn't come up to feed she dropped the carcass down to them.

If you have seen the big cat diaries, this was what it was like.  One day we even looked over to where the Marsh Lion Pride lives.  The Pride we saw was the Kicheche Lion Pride. The Kicheche camp offen has visitors and we found evidence of elephants and hippos being within 5 meters of the tents.  We had visits while we were there from mongooses and we heard elephants one night.

We visited a Maasai village one morning and watched them do traditional songs.  The warriors had a competition to see who could jump the highest (see photo). Murray joined in and seemed to do ok but he was never going to win!

This afternoon we are off to see Kenya Harlequins play Impala in rugby.  Tomorrow we are off to Arusha in Tanzania before heading up Mt Meru.

Tags: kenya

 

Comments

1

Wow!!!amazing pics guys. Steve and I are reminissing already. Hope the clouds part for you in Arusha, there's some great markets there too as I remember.
Had any flat tyres yet?

  Katherine Sep 8, 2008 4:39 PM

2

Mem Sahib obviously has the right idea, judging from that photo in the awning of the tent. Is that a G&T I see in your hand? The pith helmet must be hidden in the tent...

  Nick Sep 11, 2008 2:16 AM

3

The animals sound brilliant - beats Hamilton zoo hands down!

  Rachel Sep 17, 2008 3:12 PM

About murray_wilson

Murray & Rhonda

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.