Existing Member?

Murray & Rhonda on the road An occasional record of our travels in Kenya, Tanzania, Botswana and South Africa.

Lake Elmenteita / Nakuru National Park

KENYA | Saturday, 6 September 2008 | Views [923] | Comments [1]

White Rhino, Nakuru NP

White Rhino, Nakuru NP

We are writing this in Nairobi having finished our first week of travels. That week was an Exodus trip to Nakuru and the Maasai Mara national parks, I will deal with the first of these in this post.

After meeting up with the rest of our tour group we headed north west along a suprisingly new and good road to Lake Elmenteitawhere we stayed in a lodge that had once been the home to Lord Cole, a colonial farmer. That afternoon we went for a walk down to the lake with a local Maasai guide, looking at the beautiful birds such as Splendid starlings, tawny eagle and flamingos to name a few. The weather was lovely but in teh heat storm clouds grew and eventually broke and we received a very heavy tropical downpour - getting thoughly soaked - not what we had expected, it had been wet enough in the UK! The lodge was a delight with beautiful grounds and friendly service.

Next day we went off to Nakuru and the small but beautiful national park. This park is made up of a large lake with low hills on one side and craggy, cliffy hills on teh other. And what an introduction to Kenyan wildlife! There were about 40000 flamingos on the lake, yet in full season there are 300,000! Amazing. Groups of pelicans, geese and maribou stalks wandered the shoreline whilst a few grumpy looking bull buffalo sat around as Zebras walked past. There was so much to take in. Troops of baboons, gazelles and giraffes, verdant monkeys were enthralling but teh stars of teh show were the white rhino. Nakuru is home to a large population and we must have seen a dozen and been able to get amazingly close in our open topped mini vans. Rhonda and I both liked the giraffes - so graceful yet unlikely creatures.

Our group consisted of 10 and 2 guides (who were really nice and brilliant at spotting game), we seemed to get on pretty well. Next post will be about our adentures in the Maasai Mara.

Tags: game, kenya

 

Comments

1

All 4 parcels arrived safe and sound. Love to read your blurbs. Have a great time in Arusha. Not a bad mountain view from there as I remember.

Steve

  Steve McLean Sep 8, 2008 5:45 AM

About murray_wilson

Murray & Rhonda

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.