Existing Member?

Enjoying Life....

Heading to Sydney for the Weekend!!!

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 18 March 2010 | Views [577] | Comments [2]

At airport right now waiting on my flight to Sydney. This has been a long and tiring week...I'm glad I am taking Friday off for this short trip.  I have a conference call in the morning and after that, I don't plan on doing anymore working until I get back on Sunday night!  I need this break!

The airport security in Melbourne is so relaxed compared to the US.  I went in to check my bags in for my flight and the agent didn't even ask for my ID.  I just handed her my boarding card that I got from the kiosk and she processed my bag and off I went.  I remember even in the US before 9/11, they would ask for ID when checking you in at the airports...just to confirm you are who you are.  As for the security line, seemed like they only asked if I had aerosols...they didn't really seem to care about the liquids.  And it was nice not to have to take my shoes off, though I still has to take my laptop out.

They are more strict when it comes to ensuring your bags are within the weight limit though.  The carry-on can't be more than 10kg...though they haven't always consistently weighed my bags.  The few times they weighed my bag when I traveled btw ATL - MEL, I had to shuffle some things around to get under the weight limit when I was in Oz in order to carry onto the plane.

Since my flight is delayed, I went to the food court area and there's an Asian place that looked and smelled really good.  When I got up to the cashier, she told me they were out of rice.  How can you be an Asian restaurant and run out of rice?  Isn't that a staple item??!?! For those who know me really well, you know I gotta have my rice! :) I ended up ordering some chicken nuggets from this place called Oporto (fast food chicken place) and it was pretty nasty.  Greasy, overfried, and the chili sauce I got was terrible.  Now I'm really missing my rice since I don't feel satisfied...hopefully I'll be able to get alot this weekend in Sydney!!

Comments

1

That's b/c the aussies have not pissed off anyone yet (except the koreans in short track speed skating).

Hey I started a no carb/no sugar diet last week. Kinda like atkins but a healthy version with lots of vegetables. It's really tough not eating rice and other carbs. I bet you'll see the pounds come off if you cut rice out of your diet. And no more candy.

  kspimp Mar 21, 2010 8:16 AM

2

Ugh..I don't think I can live without rice for more than a day. You know I'd totally get cranky without it. I do need to go on a diet though...I can feel that I'm starting to put on the pounds...probably cause of all the nougats and chocolate covered macadamia nuts I've been eating!! :)

  muoy Mar 21, 2010 9:55 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.