Existing Member?

Enjoying Life....

Temples and fat monkeys.....

CAMBODIA | Friday, 10 July 2009 | Views [874] | Comments [3]

Another hot and steamy day!!!  Wow...how do the locals survive here?  By mid-morning, I'm ready to pass out and my skin is so icky and sticky.

We started out the morning at a temple called Ta Phrom Temple.  This temple was built in the late 12th and early 13th century.  It's surrounded by the jungle and there were some funky looking trees that grew all over the ruins.  Someone told my uncle that birds use to eat the seed of the tree and the bird would poop on temple, leaving the seed on the stones...and that's why those trees are growing  on/in/around the temple.   I guess it grew on what little bit of dirt was around...I've got lots of pictures of the trees...so I'll upload those tonight.

As we were leaving the temple, we saw some monkeys.  They were so adorable and some were soooooo fat (people are too busy feeding the monkeys and that's why the cows are so skinny)!  There were people selling this lotus stem thing (not sure what to call it, but it's the part of the lotus that is left after the flower dies) to feed the monkeys.  The monkeys will come up to you, reach out to get the lotus thing, pick out just the seed and eat it.  I actually ate the lotus thing for the first time yesterday and you have to dig the seed out and then peel off the skin...how did the monkeys know how to do that?! 

After lunch, we headed over to the Cambodian Cultural Village.  There are miniature replicas of famous historical buildings and structures, local customs and practices of all races.  We also saw some performances for each race (one of them was a mock traditional Cambodian wedding).  My luck ran out here trying to pass for a Cambodian.  The guy at the entrance starting speaking Cambodian to me as a test and I had no earthly idea what he was saying (I could only say in Cambodian that I am "Khmer").  It was funny how he was trying to quiz everyone in our group to make sure we spoke Cambodian.  Some of us did not pass. :)

I find it interesting to see the locals in traffic.  There seems to be so much chaos and yet, I haven't seen an accident yet.  You've got motorcycles, cars, and tuk-tuks all driving on the same road.  Everyone is just going and the cars are passing the motorcycles and tuk-tuks like crazy...I keep worrying that my cousin's husband is going to hit someone as he passes them.  The folks on the motorcycles aren't even wearing any protective gear.  I've seen a family of 4 piled onto a bike and not even the little ones have any helmets.  Are we just overprotective in America with all our seat belt and helmet requirements?  It's amazing what people carry on their bikes...grass for the skinny cows, kids, stuff to sell, and I even saw baby pigs...yes, baby pigs in a cage on the back of a bike.  Wonder how long they have before they become bacon?!?!

I'm having a hard time keeping the mosquitoes off me.  I had my deet spray plus the OFF Clip on fan with me all day...and I still got bitten.  These must be deet resistant mosquitoes!!! :( I came to Asia armed with my OFF spray, OFF wipes, and OFF Clip on fan.  The only other thing I should've brought would've been citronella candles, but even with that, I don't know if it would've been any good against these blood thirsty mosquitoes.  I picked up some mosquito coils to get me through the night (mosquitoes in the room too).  I guess I am just so sweet they can't resist me. :) And I didn't spray on my sunblock today, so I'm a little tan/red on my exposed skin...but maybe that's a good thing so when I say I am "Khmer"...they will believe me.  One of the guys in my group says I am too light and that's why they know to target me out of the group...so next time, I need to go to the Carribbean first for a nice tan before I come here.

We are heading back to Phnom Penh this morning....

Comments

1

Stop spoiling the monkeys. Dont they have any natural predators in the jungle? how would that fat monkey escape???

LOL at the off fan thingee... I doubt that would work even here in ATL. you got suckered into buying it - LOL.

You have tried everything except a mosquito net in the room - you should try that ;)

  Hubby Jul 13, 2009 11:00 PM

2

Ha..that monkey would make for a good meal to his natural predator. Nice and meaty. Supposedly, these monkeys are getting to be fewer and fewer since they are being monkey-napped and sold so people could eat the monkey brains. Yuck!!!

  muoy Jul 13, 2009 11:42 PM

3

Oh! And my brother suggested a mosquito net too. I might need to buy one for when I am in the remote location near Xi'an!!! My aunt and uncle just came from China and they said the mosquitoes there are even worst than in Cambodia!!!

  muoy Jul 13, 2009 11:43 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.