Existing Member?

seetheworld

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Friday, 16 March 2012 | Views [218] | Scholarship Entry

Yoyo and the Buddha



“Yo” “Yo”.

On turning my head to the side from where the sound was coming, I saw a few children smiling at me. I, too, smiled back. One of them showed me her palm—five beautiful small fingers. I waved my hands and turned my head back towards the lake bordered with tiny green hills.
Yo” ”Yo”.

Again the sound of her call bounced on my ears, and again, I turned my head only to encounter the same smile, the same look and the same hand with five beautiful fingers stretched wide open towards me.


I thought, “They are trying to say something”. I knew that I could not speak their language, and probably they did not know my language. Communication freezes in such situations unless one has the capacity to read the face, the eyes, and the body. I am not good at this. Body language has its own cultural connotation which varies from culture to culture. I was not familiar with their culture. Therefore there was a high probability of my misreading them. I decided simply to ignore them and avoid this adventure in cultural learning. Far away on the horizon, birds were flying against the background of the hills beneath the blue azure sky.
Birds are very interesting to me. They often draw my attention wherever I go and whenever I see them. In my school days one of my teachers used to say, “Birds of the same feather fly together.” This proverb impressed me a lot and still does. Yes, birds, probably having the same type of feathers, were flying together. But some of them were flying very differently. They were diving up and down in the sky. Of course, they were few in number—only two or three. The rest of them were flying with almost uniform speed which had turned the landscape into a renaissance painting.


“Yo” “Yo”

To be continue. . .

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About move


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.