Existing Member?

The South American Dream A long time coming...

Puerto Lopez...small, smelly and a bit fishy

ECUADOR | Sunday, 1 May 2011 | Views [1396]

Despite getting a bus straight away from Guayaquil we arrived to Puerto Lopez in the dark.  The journey was only about 3 hours although we were on one of my craziest bus rides yet. For example, there was a blind guy walking up and down the bus for most of it playing the marracas!  Just what you need.

On arrival in Puerto Lopez there was a power cut, luckily we got a moto/taxi to the hotel so we had no problem finding it.

Our room was basic and the moquito nets rang bells for trouble!  However it wasn't too bad, even the room we moved to after the second night, which was even more basic and had holes all over the shop didn't allow too many mosquitos in.

Dinner was at a restaurant, I still hadn't eaten properly since the Galapogas and after such a full on day, and being able to digest plantain (a bit like banana) on the plane opted for chicken and rice for dinner.  This didn't go well but luckily the next day we spent resting. Jamie wasn't well either so it was a good job we spent time relaxing. 

Puerto Lopez is a fishing village/town with a fish hook bay.  Its quite pretty and there are lots of fishing boats that go out from there.

This however, also mean they come back too and are quite smelly.  There are also a lot of birds around!!

We booked a trip to Isla de la Plata.  We were told there were lots of Blue footed boobies and also some red-footed boobies.  There was also a chance to see turtles again so we were keen to go as we felt like we'd partly been cheated out of these in the Galapagos.

Friday was a bit cloudy but we were excited about the trip. We weren't disappointed, there were lots of blue-footed boobies...I've got sooo many photos of them now!

Blue footed boobies hanging out:

A blue footed Boobie in all its glory:

Over lunch the turtles came and I managed to get a decent photo of them too which I was really pleased about.

I didn't snorkel much in the afternoon as I was still fairly fragile and the water was freezing, as it was a cloudy day this didn't help. However I did jump in quickly with a school of fish which were pretty cool:

The rest of the time in Puerto Lopez we ate in nice restaurants...

Drank in the bars on the beach every evening...

Went on the internet when there wasn't an internet outage, and tried to be in the right places when there was an electricity outage.

I generally chilled out for a few days, knowing Montañita would be crazy. On Sunday I went to go to the bus but the moto taxis were in a procession so unforunately I had to carry my bag! Montañita was only an hour away by bus so I knew the journey wouldn't be too bad.

Tags: blue footed boobies, ecuador, electricity outage, fish, isla de la plata, puerto lopez, turtle

About moomazza


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.