Existing Member?

The South American Dream A long time coming...

One or two days in Bogota

COLOMBIA | Wednesday, 13 April 2011 | Views [2478]

So I arrived early at 6am and after another night bus and a very long queue for the taxis and went to my hostel before going back to bed for more sleep!!  I eventually got up at 10am only to bump into a friend I had been hanging out with in Taganga, good times...he and one other friend was there for the next two days! 

My original intention was to stay in Bogota for one day, doing the things I needed to do...buying a dictionary, seeing the Botero museum and seeing if I could get any other English books, as well as checking out the main square Plaza de Bolivar.

My friends were going on the cable car to see the city so I was easily persuaded from my original plans as I didn´t know there was one and cable cards are great fun, I also thought I might be able to get books later...so off we went...

We saw nearly the whole city from the top! It is a massive sprawling city stretching in all directions...although the weather wasn´t great, there was some mist and rain clouds around, it was pretty cool to see and definitely worth going. 

We then got lured into a posh restaurant at the top...

and after realising the price but also that we really actually should order something we settled on sharing a bottle of wine and not eating...very sensible when hanging out with the Irish and its past midday!  It was pretty good wine too. I realised soon after that I was also going to need to stay in Bogota one more day as the tasks I had hoped to complete were not going to get done.  With that realised we had more cocktails...and went for Mongolian at dinner later...what fun in the capital on a Monday!

The following day was a slow start but was an action day....

A hangover breakfast followed by the search for the bookshop...after going to the nearest one on the list I found there were no English books so headed further afield on the tram/bus system! It was straight forward enough and I found another bookshop...not completely content I went to find the other one nearby which I couldn´t find...heading back to the other bookshop I purchased a spanish/english dictionary but avoided the other books for 20 pounds a piece!! However, I realised my purse was missing!! Luckily I had stashed my cash and cards so the damage was minimal...also a good excuse for a new purse I´d been promising myself for a while.

It is cold in Bogota and rained the whole day but I managed to successfully negotiate my way back to town and to the Plaza...

The Botero museum was actually closed that day so unfortunately I missed that though I´m still in awe of the musuem in Medellin which has the biggest collection anyway....just no tourist tat to take home unfortunately!  And no postcards again!!

The night was uneventful, a rest was needed and more movie watching, which is actually quite educational as the Spanish subtitles are always on so its great for learning Spanish. 

Next stop Solento.

Tags: bogota, cable car, mugging, plaza bolivar, rain

About moomazza


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Colombia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.