Existing Member?

Lessons from the land of smiles. When I left home for a well-earned R&R break in Thailand, little did I expect to return with a whole new outlook on life…

When I left home for a well-earned little did I

SOUTH AFRICA | Tuesday, 22 April 2014 | Views [133] | Scholarship Entry

Early in 2011 I left on yet another overseas adventure. I remember when I left South Africa winter was upon us and I was more than happy to leave the frost and work/life pressures behind for sunny, serene Thailand. Boy, I was up for a rude awakening that would not only make me think, but would change my life for the better.
The 1stday I landed in Bangkok it was raining and I remember saying to myself “Oh Flo, here comes another tsunami.” For the moment I wanted to get into the next plane back to South Africa. I am glad I didn’t. Otherwise I could have missed my moment of enlightenment.Before I get to this spiritual awakening of my trip, let me give you and overview of my Thailand trip. The first three days were spent in Bangkok and the rest of the days I spent in Phuket – nine days to be more precise.Day 1 to 2 saw me journeying back to yesterday Thailand and back to modern-day Thailand.The morning of Day 3 I packed and headed south to Phuket. For me it was ‘Yet another busy city’ ticked off my list, so I gracefully left Bangkok behind and took a pleasant and rather quick two hour plane from Bangkok to Phuket.Day 4 to 12 Then the real adventure began! Whilst in Phuket I visted the other islands, Phi Phi and Phang Nga. I also spent days lazing around either at the hotel beach or malls.
This is where the rude awakening occurred , I came to realise the most important aspect of the Thai people – their ATTITUDE. Most appear poor but yet seem happy. They don’t call it ‘The Land of Smiles’ for nothing. These people seem to be smiling all the time and they are laidback. I then did my own informal investigation as to why – is there something in the water or are they smoking something or what? It then that I found out that Attitute is rather the reason behind their smile. They smile because they know that life is not all that bad. Most have accepted their status in life and do what they can to uplift themselves. If they can’t, some say to themselves – ‘well that’s life’ and move on.

Generally the Thai people are hardworking yet less stressed – again my own observations pointed out Attitude and life outlook and life style.For me this was more of a slap on the face.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About monsoontravels


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.