Existing Member?

Hi Mum

Ella and Nuwara Eliya

SRI LANKA | Thursday, 14 January 2016 | Views [482]

Checking out of the hotel was a blinking nightmare. We went down to do it and no one had any idea how much we had to pay and they didn't speak very good English. We sat waiting for a while and then they called the owner who must have been away for a few days. I had to speak to her on the phone and she basically asked how much we owed. I think I could have said anything and she would have believed me. Eventually told her I thought we owed around 4400 which is £22 which I think was right but it was just silly. Wouldn't recommend that one.
We finally left and went to climb Little adams peak. Our driver said it would take about three hours up and down and that it was fairly difficult. In the end it took us about half an hour to get up there but it was by no means easy. There were stairs from about half way up which we chose to take rather than the slower path. The stairs were pretty steep and I realised how unfit I am but I think we made the right choice. About halfway up the stairs we came across a cow that had managed to get itself there. Ive heard that cows can't walk down stairs but it wasn't there when we came back down so I'm not convinced that that is true.

We got up to the top, took some pictures and then realised there was two peaks so we went over to the other side and sat there for a while. The view was pretty good and it was just really nice up there. On the way back down we saw a sign for a cafe. Since you walk through a tea plantation to get there I thought it would be super cute to stop there for a cuppa. We did and it was so beaut. It was a really posh spa resort that had a cafe inside it and it was phenomenal. We had a Google and it costs around £100 a night to stay there but you're on top of a mountain with a beaut pool and spa and the food looked beautiful. I had my cup of tea, kate had an ices tea and becki and Amy had pineapple juices. It was all fairly expensive for the area but I think it was worth it.

When we got back down our driver was waiting for us so we got in the car and left for Nuwara Eliya. There roads were horrrifically windy and putting that with Ashan's questionable driving which stops and starts constantly we all felt pretty car sick. It was probably our shortest distance as the crow flies but it took so long because it was all up, down and around the mountains. He also stopped at one point to get us some curd with honey and some woodapples. The curd was nice, it was like set yoghurt. The woodapples not so much, so sour and just horrible. He mixed it with salt and it was more bearable but still pretty grim.

Nuwara Eliya was beautiful as we pulled in and Ashan took us on a 'boat safari'. It was pretty much a waste of money because we just sat in a motor boat and went round a lake. The lake was very pretty but that was it.

Ashan then took us to his favourite liquor store to get some lion lager. We got two bottles between us all which I think disappointed Ashan and it cost 320 rupees each. He them took us to the hotel which was called carnation rest, it was quite nice but nothing special. We had two double beds between us and a blanket on each bed which was good because it got cold in the night.

We took a walk down to the market from our hotel but didn't stay out long because we thought what we were wearing was inappropriate - we were wearing shorts and we got a few stares.

Ashan had also told us that Nuwara Eliya was THE place to get a Sri Lankan massage so kate and I signed up for one in his recommended spa. The entire experience was very interesting. The two of us were in twin bed sort of things and the entire time I could just here them slapping kate around. They were pretty rough with her but mine was lovely. She did at one point massage my bum and my boobs which was very odd but Kate got the same treatment so I don't feel too special. We also had a go in a steam bath which was so nice, it was like a coffin with a head hole and the coffin filled with steam - very sweaty but good.

We headed back to the hotel went for dinner - Kate and I shared devilled chicken and rice. Was good but pretty spicy and not enough to share despite what they told us.

We then went back to the hotel and watched a film - Rumour has it - in bed with our lion lagers.

Tomorrow we're moving onto Kandy.

 

About mm12767


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Sri Lanka

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.