Existing Member?

Jo's Korean and Other Crazy Adventures Jo is coming back to teach in China for a second year that is sure to be filled with new crazy adventures!

Good-Bye Korea ~ An End to a Four Year Affair

SOUTH KOREA | Friday, 16 August 2013 | Views [1016]

So much has happened in these last few months. I had signed a contract to go to China and would have been on my way there in a few days, but I changed my mind. I got sick these last few months and after a lot of stressing and decision making - I decided to bail out of going to China. It wasn't just that I was sick, but that was a big part of the decision I made to not go to China at this time. Instead I am going back to my home country to see my friends and family and decide what I want to do from there.

I have a million things running through my mind at the moment, but I'm trying not to stress out about my return to Canada. I have no idea yet, where I'm going to live and what I'm going to do. I just know that I had some health problems that really scared me and I believe I have made the right decision for the interm. I just need a break for awhile. This year took so much out of me. With being sick for awhile at the beginning and then again at the end, it really makes me reconsider being abroad at this time. I hope to go abroad again in the future, but for now I just want to see how it goes in Canada.

Life sure does throw curveballs sometimes. Part of me wants to try to settle down in Canada. I've saved enough to get started again until I find another job and to relocate to another city if need be. On the other hand, I already have my eye on an upcoming job in Abu Dhabi for next January. I am happy to be leaving Korea on one hand, yet on the other I will miss a lot of people and things about this country.

I do feel like I'm ready to leave Korea and probably not come back. As I said in my last post, it is time to move on for me.
This country obviously has a draw to it and I have enjoyed the good health care system and cheap dental care in this country. I have had many frustrations this year with the narrow-mindedness of some Koreans and how we as teacher's don't have many rights here or support if something happens in the public school system. I will miss my students so much, but I won't miss the system here and how they push students too much and don't make time for any fun. No wonder the suicide rate is one of the highest in the world, if not the highest.

One thing I felt sad about when I left my school was that none of my students asked for my email. I would have really liked to have kept in touch with a few of them. Well last night I ran into a few of my grade six students on the street. They asked me if I was coming back to Korea, and I said I don't think so. They were so sad, and then I said lets keep in touch by email and then I gave them my email. I hope I end up writing a few of them.

Camp was so so frustrating this year. Two and a half weeks of teaching in sweltering 100 degree heat. Also,  having to teach from a boring book. The admin decided to cut out or drastically reduce all the fun activities this year. So, the kids were exhausted, and totally not wanting to study hard especially since they already finished their school year. I really had to push to get through and I kept feeling sorry for the kids. Anyway, it's done. I'm back in Canada in four days and I'm looking forward to it very much. At least I will have more money than any other year that I've left Korea. I also paid of another important debt this year, so at least I feel like I accomplished something.

Good-Bye Dear Asia, even if I never come back...I will never ever forget the four years that I spent here in Korea.

 

 

 

About miss_traveller


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Korea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.