Existing Member?

Jo's Korean and Other Crazy Adventures Jo is coming back to teach in China for a second year that is sure to be filled with new crazy adventures!

Spring at Last

SOUTH KOREA | Saturday, 27 April 2013 | Views [1044]

 

I once wrote a poem called 'Spring', which I totally forget at the moment. I left all my poetry in a binder in the basement of my father's house. Maybe it's time to write another one. Spring has finally hit South Korea. I had the chance to see the most beautiful cherry and plum blossom season this year. Being out in the rural area, I get to see more flowers and trees. I went to Saesangpo Japanese Fortress near Jinha beach with my coworkers a few weeks ago, and the scenery was really stunning. The fortress dates back to the 16th century, and was built by the Japanese.

 

Cherry blossoms overarching part of the Japanese Fortress wall.

 

These last few months have been pretty intense. I really thought spring would never arrive as it has been so cold and damp out till recently. North Korea has been threatening the USA and the South with a possible missile attack and tensions had risen over the last month or so. The media really blew the whole issue out of the water, especially in the western media. My mother was worried about me more than I was worried about myself, based on what she saw on TV (CNN ). The South Koreans are so used to these threats and craziness from the leaders of North Korea, that they sort of laugh about it these days. The media frenzy has died down now, and currently, South Korea is trying to negotiate talks with North Korea. Kim Jung Un, doesn't seem to want to talk or do things any civil way. I don't know what is going to happen, but I suspect much of the same of what has went on for the past fifty or more years with constant threats and 'look at me' attitude.

 

Wouldn't that be good! hah!

On to other news...Issues with my co-teacher have sorted themselves out finally. I was really worred about a month ago, when my co-teacher took a hissy fit for no reason and lost her cool with me. I felt like she was really angry at me and I was really thinking that things couldn't go on that way for long. I felt stressed to even go to school. My previous co-teacher told me that she was a very difficult person to deal with and that she possibly has some mental problems. I really got worried when she stormed out of my class because she didn't like something I said or it offended her. I am so happy that she has calmed down and started treating me better over the last few weeks. I am not much of an ass kisser, but I have been so extra nice and sensitive to her because of the way she is. I'm learning more and more how to deal with difficult people and I must say, I am not too bad at it. I have learned not to get angry back when a person is yelling at me because it really just escalates and makes the problem worse. My new co-teacher is really helpful and my classes are going so smooth these days. The students love me to death and I really have grown attached to them. It will be hard to leave actually. That brings me to another issue that has been on my mind these days.

If only..Maybe I should listen to this book.

What the heck am I going to do after this contract? I decided not to stay, mostly because I was having issues with my co-teacher and I surely knew I would have to work with her another year. Also, the area is so pretty, yet quite boring after awhile. I was thinking of going to work in Busan or move to Thailand. I have an interview with a Chinese school this week, and I will have to see how that goes. I feel very torn about what to do at this time. I want to take a bit of a break between contracts, yet most schools start the end of August. I will have to figure it out soon enough. As of yesterday, I am finally debt free! I am overjoyed about the fact that all my money I make from here on out can go towards saving.

I started working out at a new gym the last few weeks. I also started swimming again. I forgot just how good I feel after a good swim. I hope to lose about 20 or more pounds before I go back to see my family in Canada in August. I have so much work to do, but I am so determined it isn't funny.

I'll soon be another year older....ugh! I hate birthdays in a way, because I always become so pensive as to what I still want to do with my life. Time is a ticking! I am going to Seoul for my birthday weekend and will see a few friends that I really miss. Hard to believe I haven't been to Seoul since last December. Perhaps I can get some perspective about my future from a few of my good friends that I miss dearly.

I haven't been doing much lately as I am going to try and save about half my paycheck from here on out. That means less eating out, and less drinking. More working out and eating well. 'No pain, no gain' as they say!

 

 

 

Deep thought of the day....

Isn't it time for a big change? Life is short, make it count :)

 

Tags: birthdays, change, meaning of life

About miss_traveller


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Korea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.