Existing Member?

Miriam Explores

Update from down under!

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 5 November 2009 | Views [556]

Sorry I haven't writted for a while... been a busy bee!

Well, so far Oz is fabulous!  I had a great 4 days in Melbourne with Matthew and he took me to all the sights, and I dragged him around the shops!  It was so cold in Melbourne compared to Bali that I had to buy proper shoes and jeans (and a pretty dress and another pair of shoes!).

I loved Melbourne, beautiful riverside, great places to eat, good shopping and small enough to get around pretty easily.  However, I had decided that it would be best if I wasn't in the same city as Andy, so I had made the decision to go to Sydney.

I flew up to Sydney and was met at the airport by George, David and Renee (distant relatives who I'd never met before!) and they were really welcoming.  George's wife, Hilary was in China and would not be returning for just over a week... so it was me, George and DJ the dog!

George was great at looking after me/feeding me up so I was pretty content staying with him in Gymea (about 30 mins away from the city). On the Sunday I seriously started looking for jobs and applying for anything and everything... the same activity was repeated on the Monday and Tues as it was chucking it down with rain!  I was not impressed with the rain to say the least, but at least it meant I was happy to stay inside searching for a job.  By the time Thursday arrived I had an interview - finally!!  By 9am the following day I had a job offer - Online Marketing Exec for a hairdressing franchise and the salary was amazing!  Obviously I accepted...

Now I had a job in the bag, I could start to relax and do a bit of sightseeing... so i went to the Bontanical Gardens, Opera House, Harbour Bridge and on a ferry ride to darling Harbour!  I was trying to make up for lost time so crammed in loads and had a fab day!

The next day (Sat) I met my friend Kat and her boyfriend Sam (met them on the Gili islands) for coffee in Paddington and then we had a look around the trendy market that is held there each week.  Later on I met Marie (a friend of a friend from home) for lunch at darling Harbour which was really nice - we chatted for hours!  Marie and I then decided that we would go to Manly the next day as the weather was meant to be hot again.

We said goodbye and I headed home to Gymea... 

As planned, Marie and I went to Manly on the ferry the following day.  The boat trip took about 30 mins and gave us amazing views of the Sydney Opera house and bridge... I'll put them on facebook soon.  We had a mooch around Manly and had lunch on the beach - sadly it wasn't hot enough for sunbathing :-(

We headed back after a few hours and a nice ice cream and I went back home to see Hilary; she had arrived that moning from China.  It was great to see Hilary and it was good to have some female company too.  I had an early night on the Monday as I was going to the races the next day with David and his friends...   

  

About miriamexplores


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.