Existing Member?

Miriam Explores

Yogyakarta - miriam and motorbikes!

INDONESIA | Monday, 14 September 2009 | Views [666]

I'm not too sure what has come over me, but i keep hopping on strangers motorbikes and paying them to drive me places!  The first time I was trying to get the main square (where the Sultan's Palace is amongst other things) when i started chatting to a guy who pursuaded me to go to the 'Art's Centre'.  He then spoke to a chap on a motor bike who said he would take me for 3,000 Rupiah (18 pence!).  Despite wearing a little dress, i hopped on his bike and he gave me a huge helmet to wear which was just useless!  he took me to the 'Art's Centre' where i was shown how they make Batik paintings (very interesting) and then swiftly exited before being coercedinto buying something!

Later on, after some yummy frozen yoghurt and fruit, i was once again looking for the Sultan's Palace.  I though i had found it when a guy on a motorbike started to try and talk to me - I really wasn't in the mood  but he said he wanted to practice his English so i took pity on him!  I decided this was a perfect opportunity to ge a free lift home so suggested that he drove me to my hostel and then we could have a drink and he could practice his English.  He seemed happy with this deal, so i hopped on his motorbike - no helmet this time!

We got to my hostel and then went to a bar / restaurant across the road for a drink.  I expected him to ask me lots and want to 'practice his English' but he barely said two words - i was sooo bored!  The only thing he did talk about was football which was hardly the most riveting conversation. I quickly finished my drink, paid the bill and said it was time to leave. We were walking down the road and he asked if i wanted to have dinner with him - what a joke!!  A twenty minute drink was far too long, there was no way i was going to have tea with some boring Indonesian guy!  I politely declined and said i had to go and talk to a travel agent to esape him.

Today i had an early start as most of the sites seem to close aboy 12pm - maybe its because of Ramadam...

Again, i got some guy with a motoebike to drive me to the Palace for 5,000 Rupiah this time.  I had a personal guide take me around the Palace and explain everything to me - she was so helpful and informative i really enjoyed my visit.  After the Palace i wanted to go to the Water Castle but was unsure of the way, so the guide kindly asked a chap to walk me there.  After about 20 minutes wandering down tiny little allyways and a brief stop at a Batik shop (yes, anaother one) he said "i leave you here, go straight and turn left to get the the Water Castle"!   I couldn't believe i had been let on a total wild goose chase!  Needless to say, i never did find the Water Castle, but did find  the Bird Market which was also on my 'to see' list.  The Bird market sold everything from reptiles to puppies, mice and obviously lots of birds!  It was fascinating walking around although it was very cruel and if the RSPCA had seen they would have had a heart attack.

I thought that it was time for a change from motorbikes, so went on a push-bike with a seat on the front from the Market to the main street.  The poor chap peddling must have been shattered - i think he got off at one point to push the bike (and me) up a hill.  I paid him just 5,000 Rupiah - a quarter of what he originally asked for!  They are so cheeky over here but i can understand why they try...

I spent the afternoon by the pool relaxing as i have a 5am start tomorrow - Borobudur and Prabanam temples are the plan for the day. 

I shall say goodnight and will write soon...  M xxxx

About miriamexplores


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.