Existing Member?

Miriam Explores

Penang - Muslim's and more rain

MALAYSIA | Saturday, 29 August 2009 | Views [419] | Comments [1]

We arrived in Georgetown, Penang about 8pm and decided to go for a wander after we had put our bags in our room had had a rest.  Han and I got some food from the guys that just cook in the street and found ourselves outside a Mosque.  Prayer time had obviously just finished and everyone was on the street outside.  The Mosque was beautiful so we walked down and were ushered inside and handed long gowns and headscarves.  Afrer we had donned on our new gear, we were welcomed by the guy who seemed to look after the Mosque and he asked us where we were from etc. he explained lots to us about his religion, why they fast and pray facing a certain direction etc.  He then took us on a bit of a tour to places where tourists aren't usually allowed...

We went round to the side of the Mosque where some men were sitting on the floor eating and drinking - we were offered to share their food and I took a really yummy samosa!  The head guy of the Mosque (not sure what you would call him) then came over to us as we were eating with these men and asked us lots of questions and wished us well on our trip, telling us not to stay out too late! We were then shown the area where the men (women have a totally separate area) wash their feet, arms, face and hands - to wash away their sins.  It was beautiful and the man was so kind and told us so much stuff we didn't know.

We walked back to the entrance and had some tea with ginger (very tasty) sat on the floor and we talked some more about why they sip their tea, eat slowly and sit on the floor to eat.. amongst other things.  We then handed back our gowns etc and left feeling incredily special that wehad been shown around and been able to share food and drink with these men and talk to the head guy.  We were told that we "had been chosen" and that why they allowed it - not too sure about that bit but we certainly felt that we were priviledged to have had such an experience.  han said it was a shame she didn't take a picture of me in my robes as i looked hilarious!!

We were already loving Penang so much more than Langkawi, but we were still seeking the sunshine.  The following day it was sunny so we packed our stuff and got on the bus to Batu Ferringi ready to hit the beach!  We arrived and found a room about 10 metres from the beach and speedily put our bikin's ion!  It was beautiful and so warm... until the rain came!  Yes, we had more rain!  It has now been raining for the past 2 days - sometimes it comes down so hard that you think the roof is coing to cave in!  We stayed 2 nights by the beach and moved back to the town today.

We have a flight booked for Sunday morning to Sumatra and the forecast is sunny - roll on Sunday!!

Comments

1

Good to catch up on all your adventures...more exciting than thing here.I told you about the famous Malay rain.Glad your meeting the locals ....its so nice to see how others live
You seem to be getting on famously with Hannah which is good.Is she with you throughout Sumatra?
We are planning our time in Oz.Few days in Melbourne then on 30th Nov start trip on Great Ocean Road/Grampians/Ballarat/murray river for 9 days arriving back on 7th or 8 Dec before going home on 12th.Hope that helps you think about when you arrive.You could join us at any point on this trip as we are never really more than a half day travel from Melbourne by train.We will save things like Phillip Island and Wilsons Promentry Nat Park for when you are definetely there
Keep the diary going!!
Love DADXX

  Dad Aug 29, 2009 4:54 AM

About miriamexplores


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.