Existing Member?

Foreign Travels

First weeks travels

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 18 March 2012 | Views [585] | Comments [8]

I've been Down Under for nearly a week and have spent time in the country's third largest city Brisbane.  The city itself is a very energetic place, easy to move around in and the locals are friendly. I spent a few hours in the city's Botanic Gardens which not only contained native plants but others from around the southern hemisphere.  I visited the Gallery of Modern Art along the South Bank of the Brisbane River. The city skyline reflects the growth of this city over the last ~30 years with many newer high rise buildings with what I fine very interesting architectural features. The vitality is palpable reflecting the atitude and optimism of this country and it's proximity to Asia.  Really makes one wonder about where this planet is headed...

Yesterday I spent the day touring Fraser Island of the coast town of Hervey Bay,the worlds largest sand island. It's around 123km long by 2km wide and the depth in tested spots is 100 meters below sea level. It was declared a World Heritage Site back in the early nineties. The really interesting thing is that there is a semi tropical rainforest covering much of the island which has managed to grow using nutrients from the sand. The flora is beautiful and the different species of trees on the island are very interesting, eucilyptus, three types of pines and others.  One of the pine species is ramrod straight and guess what, they were used by the English for ship masts.  Sound familiar?  There are quite a few rainwater fed lakes which have really white sand and tourquise water at the edge.  I swam in one and the folklore is one will feel ten years younger after you swim in the waters.  Now only if that would work for my knees, etc.  Unfortunately we didn't see any wild dingoes whose numbers are estimated between 150 - 200 on the island. They are not an animal you want to turn your back on though and have been known to harm people visiting the island, carry away boots, etc.  

Comments

1

Mike,
Gland your adventure is off to a flying start. Really, I didn't mean the pun. Awesome pics-you have been a busy boy! Keep up the posting. Look forward to the next.
Love,
Steve

  Steve Higgins Mar 19, 2012 5:56 AM

2

Mike,

Loved the photos. Can't wait to hear more about your adventures. Hope the weather improves.

Take care and be safe. :)

  Mary Higgins Mar 20, 2012 6:16 AM

3

Uncle Mike,

Thank you for the updates. Goodluck on your travels and be safe!

Love the albany clan :)

  Danielle Higgins Mar 20, 2012 9:00 AM

4

Hi Mike,
It's great to get to see a bit of Australia through your great pictures. I'm enjoying the "armchair traveling". Keep them coming!
Enjoy - Bill

  Bill Keegan Mar 21, 2012 1:01 PM

5

Through Hilary's facebook, and then Alyssa's, I watched the blog abouit the making of the Hobbit movie. UNBELIEVABLE scenery. And you are going there! Beware of dwarves and shaky ground. Oh, and it was 80 today and warmer tomorrow. Frogs are singing, ice is almost gone from the pond, and my lilacs may bud any day. About your comment about this planet...

  Betsy Mar 22, 2012 12:39 PM

6

Mike -- Great to read your first journal entries. Keep 'em coming!

I came across this article in The New York Times about Auckland. Three things for a frugal traveler to do: Go to the art museum, try the meat pies and shop on K' Street. Here's the link:
http://frugaltraveler.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/20/in-auckland-new-zealand-a-frugal-trifecta/?hpw

  Doug Cogan Mar 22, 2012 4:52 PM

7

good to hear about your adventure so far and nice pics - keep 'em coming!

  stevel Mar 23, 2012 10:08 AM

8

Mike,
First time checking out your chronicle of the great adventure down under. I am envious of your travels and maybe some day will make a trek as well. Do hope the weather improves for you. Maybe you should have looked into renting a duck boat. In case you have not been keeping up with March madness, the Buckeyes beat Syracuse yestereday to advance to the final four. Other three teams are Kentucky, Louisville and Kansas. I continue to work on getting Suzy's new pool up and running. Stay safe, healthy and enjoy.

  David Mar 26, 2012 11:37 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.