Existing Member?

an adventure exploring australia be off then Hello there folks, just another little blog because three aren’t enough I will use this to post some pics from the little journey that will hopefully take me around Australia with a brief stop over in Bangkok! Leaving UK 20th Septe

Cairns - Mareeba/Fruitopia

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 27 February 2014 | Views [2355]

Two month overdue... I will attempt a brief update.

SO after the desolation and fruit depseration of Roper BAr I escaped to Fruitopia. That little piece of tropical fruit paradise  near Cairns.

I immediately felt at home. I got picked up by a bunch of lovely like minded folk with whom I was about to share an amazing ten days!

On the way, we picked up some mangoes growing by the side of the road. As you do. This is after i had some amazing ripe lady finger bananas in the car. I know I know, they are everywhere here now, but after the NT experience this was like  a "welcome to heaven, my friend!" ;-)

I spent my time there mulching, making garden paths, weeding between some seriously spiky pineapple (and planting some new babies!), planting trees, spreading seeds...and generally just being absolutely amazed by what grows on the farm! This is the fruitarians heaven!

fruits tasted: Nane Sapote. Chiko Sapote. Green Sapote. Black Sapote. (we love sapotes!) Brazil Berry. Ackee! Papaya..plenty of paw paw for meee.. yeeew. Coconuts. Mangoes (of course). Passionfruits. OH YEAH. Lychees. Wampis. hmm mhhh. Starapple. None (oh goodness. this thing got me slightly high. it's weirdest taste, but addictive all the same. madness, it's the stinky cheese of the fruit world!tastes like this, i think http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harzer)

Ralinia. and the olde myrical fruit with which we had some fun.combined with limes. :D

It was a great journey of learning about tropical fruit. A lot ... A LOT of talk about various approaches to fruitarianism and health in general. I have never been this clean and sober in my whole life. Maybe not superficially as most of the washing was in the creek...which didn't seem that clean. :) BUt who cares! I througouhly enjoyed being muddy. Out in the country is where I want to be. This was the first place I truly felt at home. But not the last. I had such a wonderful time getting to know the most interesting people. Most importantly Adrain and Judith who are just amazing to learn from. About plants and diet and sustainable living.

We spent evening in awe of and taking hundred of photos of little critters.

Had some attampts of partying too which mostly ended in distaster...like a three hour detour thorugh...well..nothing...just nature...to get to a rave. Which, well, wasn't quite what we expected and the mood gerenrally not quite up for it.

We did make it to a Rocky Horror Picture SHow screening in Mareeba. That, also, wasn't quite what we had in mind, i.e. if you have been to one in Europe you will know it as an interactive stage play (or I guess in any big city, not europe). Well, this was just a screening, and we were the only ones dressed up! :D Had the most hilarious night though still making it our interactive play! Especially Darcy, the king (or queen? :)) of the dance floor!

After all that...no one wanted to leave! who would want to leave a place where you can plant amazing trees, helping to grow all sorts of edibles whilst eating most delicious fruits and discovering lots of edible greens, where you can swim in the creek, run in nature, do yoga when you please in the spare room...?! anyhow, we had to go and I was lucky enough to get a lift with a bunch going down south toward Brisbane where I had to be anyway!

Tags: fruit fruit and lovely people.who enjoy a lot of

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.