Existing Member?

Goodbye Brisbane, hello world!

"Blonde-sprinting, hunters-chugging, espetada-munching machine”

ZIMBABWE | Wednesday, 11 May 2011 | Views [837]

Hey guys here's an older blog i wrote about 2 months ago and forgot to upload!...


Hello all!

So I have been in Zimbabwe for 3 weeks now and so far have got 3 jobs, made a whole load of new friends, found two new weekly hobbies, and am now nicknamed as “Wynner!”

I am predominantly working at a small privately owned restaurant/bar just round the corner from where I live. A cute little place set around a pool with thatched roofs and a nice little bar that becomes the place to be after 9pm. I am working in the bar, and it’s a lot of fun (most of the time), although we do have the usual drunk suspects who try to ruin your night from the other side of the bar and are absolute a-holes. Luckily I just ignore them and if they try talk to me like their bar wench I give them a piece of my mind! Normally though, the crowd are well behaved and very friendly, good old Zimbo’s out to have a good night and enjoy a beer or three. This job I work 3 days a week; two late nights and two afternoons. During the rest of the week I am working one to two nights a week at another bar, also the place to be after 9pm, this time a lot bigger and often messier. Tonight I am working here for the first time so it shall be interesting to see what it’s like from the other side of the bar! Nice place full of people I know and have heard of but never met, so it’s a bit of a blast from the past which is always nice.

During the rest of the week, when I am not behind a bar, I am supposedly helping to redesign a website for the Conservation Organisation my mum used to work for, but things have been going slowly with that so haven’t actually achieved anything with that yet.

When I am not working I have taken up playing ultimate frizbee twice a week for a couple of hours, and hope to start playing tennis at a mate’s house on Wednesdays, depending on work commitments.

I have made many new friends through these jobs and have been reminded at how wonderful Zimbabweans are, and how much I miss this place. But I am only here for just over two more months, and I have to say, have got the travel bug so cannot wait till I can leave again for Mauritius!

This country is awesome, but at the moment there is not much here for me in terms of my career and what I hope to pursue over the next few years. And it’s not that easy to live here either, salaries are terribly low, and everything is still so unpredictable that I am quite glad I am not staying here permanently.

Till next time,

Love Mel xo

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Zimbabwe

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.