Existing Member?

Stories and values sharing with local community

Are your journey meaningful for other people?

INDONESIA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [237] | Scholarship Entry

Can you imagine if your travelling hobby brings you to the most remote area and change you to be an elementary school teacher?

I have born in a country built up by 17,000 island, and interact with more than 200 tribes speaks their own language. The conditions made me realize that I have to explore my own country before I started to take a journey aboard.

I have been traveling to many places, meet people, capture beautiful landscape, visit ancient culture centre, and studying about lot of local tradition in Java, Bali, Borneo, Sulawesi, and Sumatra. I learned a lot of things during the exploration, and find a various of human activities.
But, in a point after busy Monday in city. I started to think. Are the main purpose of all the journey only to escape for daily life? Are journey used only as a tool to refresh and to enrich my own mind? And the last I think, are all of my journey give meaning for other people?

I saw that, most visited community near the exploration object only takes little advantages from the visitors. They have been share stories and values that may be inspire the visitor for the rest of his life, but this community only get city life style show and a piece of money that only fill their needs for couple days.

To pay that, in 2012 I made an extreme turnover of my journey motif. I started to think that my journey should give the people more than I get. Since the time, I always do a journey for a strong reason. The first trip I take is a challenge with a year commitment to live in a remote village, living as a local people, learn their culture, and try to enrich them with new horizon especially in education and health, but still respect their local wisdom.

This role brings me to Majene, West sulawesi to mandar tribe. In a totally different community with strange language and culture. And I have to do fast adaptation to unite with them and share.For three month, I live their way, eat their food, and try to speak their language.
The intensive interaction brought me to have a close relationship with the people, Make me easier to understand their local science and wisdom. I also can teach on their village school, to give their children new understanding about the world and the things inside it.

After that a year trip, I decided to stop exploring new places for life style. I choose to do journey to share with local people, give long last memory for each other.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About meaning


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.