Existing Member?

Eo Ire Itum

Welcome to the Jungle

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 13 February 2009 | Views [1509] | Comments [2]

An over dramatic title perhaps?

On Tuesday evening Georgia and I were sat in a nice Indian restaurant chatting over a curry; when a man casually walked in, grabbed my bag and RAN out the door.

This restaurant had two heavy glass doors (to keep in the heat) and he was half way through the second door when I jumped out of my seat, grabbed him and tackled him. He kind of pushed me back a little, I fell on my knees and he kept running.

Straight away I picked my self up again and bolted after him screaming "STOP THAT MAN!!" A few people in the street starting yelling as well (bless them!) and a man on a bicycle rode right in front of him and forced him to turn right... into a dead end. I could see him panicking now that the whole street was taking notice and he was basically cornered. He threw my bag on the ground and ran left across the road.

People were still yelling after him and the man on the bike called after his friend to see if they could find out where the man had gone. I picked up my bag and checked it - nothing was missing. I walked back to the restaurant and one of the other customers handed me my hat back and everyone expressed amazement over what had just occurred.

It doesn't quite feel as if it even happened. When something like that happens it's all a blur. I'm just so pleased that it all ended well. I'm reminded that the bag-snatcher might have had a weapon (although generally they're too scared or high to bother with such things) or that he might have gotten away with my bag, which would've been a huge inconvenience for me.

I can't believe the cheek of this guy to waltz into a restaurant and snatch someones bag!! Also this is a tad ironic for me after four months in Asia.

Anyway - apart from the atempted mugging my first week in London has been fantastic. I've been catching up with friends, seeing some of the sights and I have now moved into a spare room in Georgias house (thank you Georgia!) This will no doubt save me money as rent is considerably cheaper than staying in London hostels. Also I now have some of the home comforts that I have been dearly missing over the past four months. Living with Georgia is also going to be great fun - she really is a wonderful person.

Over the next week I'm going to sort out excactly what I'm going to be doing in London. Working, living or leaving...

My new London pad. :)

My new London pad. :)

Comments

1

Wow! I'm so proud of you. What an amazing story and what a wonderful outcome. Good on ya girl, you show em!

  Baba Feb 15, 2009 2:19 PM

2

He didn't know who he was messing with!! :D

  mazystar Feb 15, 2009 10:38 PM

About mazystar

Winter time means HATS!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.