Existing Member?

I Miss Tacos Already

Gili T., Indonesia

INDONESIA | Saturday, 8 March 2014 | Views [341] | Comments [4]

Situated between Bali and Lombok (Bali’s Eastern neighboring Island) are the Gili’s. Three small circular islands that form a kind of tail off Lombok. Gilli Tarawangan (aka Gili “T”), the largest, is supposed to be an incredibly relaxing spot void of cars, motorbikes, dogs, and police. Our friend Terri talks us into taking a trip to meet her there and we agree it sounds good. We take a fast boat over and relax on the roof of the boat as we whizz by tiny islands. We stop off at Lombok, Gili Air, and Gili Meno before finally arriving at Gili T. We befriended a French/Dutch diving couple on the boat over so we decide to find accomodation together since we will have more buying power as a group. We get a decent room for about $10 a night and head out for a swim in the white sandy beaches. After we take a walk around the island we sneak into a 5-star resort pool. Two couples from Brazil and Finland who we could have sworn had been together for years, but had actually just met that morning on the boat as well chatted us up in the pool. We all promised we’d party later and Hil and I head back to the hotel after grabbing some booze. The room that looked decent during the day is dreadful at night. There are worms crawling out of the shower, mold on the walls, the bed looks like a crime scene investigation, and the door won’t lock. Hilary is doing everything she can to avoid crying. A few drinks in at our room we decide we are going to sneak back into the 5-star resort and sleep on the comfy lawn chairs next to the pool. We run back into our Brazilian/Finnish friends at the pool (who are REALLY getting to know each other now). They laugh at our predicament and tell the hotel guards that we’re with the band. This works like a charm and we fall asleep under the stars.

The next morning we relocate and rent some snorkeling equipment.  We are walking down the road when we overhear some people next to us being hassled to rent some snorkeling gear. One of the girls replies, “I’m too drunk to buy anything!” Hilary laughs and commends her on a good excuse. After talking we realize these people are mutual friends of Terri the girl we were supposed to meet! (Terri never ended up making it to Gili T). We end up getting lunch together and renting stand up paddle boards. In their group it’s Luis from Mexico, Jessica from Florida, and Leiyana from California. I ride on Hilary’s board while she paddles and Leiyana grabs her own board and we paddle across to the next island over(Gili Meno) about 900 yards away. Its pretty hilarious watching these girls fall over every 100 feet screaming and laughing. They get the hang of it and we make it across and back. We hook up with the Frenchies and have a big feast with everyone. Hilary goes home early with the French couple so they can do yoga in the morning. I stay out drinking with Luis, Jessica, and Leiyana.  Early in the morning I’m walking home to our bungalow when a 20 year old man in drag accompanies me. We are shooting the shit and he keeps getting touchier as we talk. He then offers me “his oral services”. I decline as politely as possible and we walk another 30 feet before he asks, “How about now?” I decline again, but he gets aggressive and jumps to his knees trying to untie my shorts saying, “this will be for free”. I scream “get the hell off me!” and start running. I run smack dab into a mosque. The daily 5am prayers are about to begin. I start walking and as soon as I hit the beach I come across one of the prettiest sunrises I’ve ever seen.

Hilary wakes up early the next morning and does yoga and breakfast with the French couple, and lunch with our other group of friends. Meanwhile, I’m nursing a little hangover. We end up all taking a glass bottom boat snorkeling trip (the glass bottom boat uses windows taken from somebody’s house) to each of the islands. We see a huge ship wreck, massive sea turtles, huge purple jellyfish the shape of slinkies, lion fish, and colorful coral. We end up all going out for seafood on the beach after.  Hilary, Jessica, and Leiyana decide on the way home from dinner that they’re in need of some fish therapy.  They try out a fish foot bath where Turkish fish eat dead skin off your feet!  After her feet feel as smooth as a baby’s bottom. 

We wake up and all say our goodbyes and hop back on the top of another speed boat back to Bali. We drink Bintangs, blast some rolling stones, and enjoy a rocky ride back to the mainland.

 

Comments

1

I can't believe Terri never made it! Geez! Classic Terri!
Sounds like gili T has got some heavy love potion effect.. Be careful who you're dealing with out there, if somebody is in drag that means they know the black arts of magic and atleast a bit of voodoo/hoodoo.

  dust Mar 10, 2014 4:28 AM

2

Haha keep the stories coming man this is awesome. Crazy peeps, good thing you got away from that guy haha.

  sasquatch Mar 10, 2014 1:12 PM

3

Max, the way you write.. I can hear your voice telling us these ridiculous experiences aaand it makes me miss you guys so much! Also shooting the shit with 20 year old males always results in him trying to take it to the next level.. personal experience. Looove that you ran into a Mosque :)

Hil, I've always wanted to do that fish therapy thing! My feet are pretty rough due to subways and walking around barefoot in my apartment. Can't wait for more adventures!

  Raisa Mar 19, 2014 6:58 AM

4

Looks and sounds like you guys are having a blast!! Keep the updates coming Vedder, they're keeping us all very entertained, love it!

  Matthew Apr 7, 2014 1:19 PM

About maxvedder


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.