Existing Member?

Day of the Dead - When your life flashes in front of your eyes

When your life flashes in front of your eyes

WORLDWIDE | Thursday, 18 September 2014 | Views [1548] | Comments [2] | Scholarship Entry

For me life is about meeting people. Listening to stories. Learning new things. Away from home it's that much easier to do. Because your lack of knowledge drives the pursuit of it. It becomes a necessity to ask. All the time. From where you can buy groceries to the cultural significance of a day of reckoning. No can know all the answers. But everyone knows how to ask questions. We've been doing it since we were kids. Travelling does that to you. It makes you a child again. Because when you're the person in the room with the least amount of knowledge of what's going on you're the one that can learn the most.

I was born into a body that can't draw. I grew up feeling like I was a creative person who had no outlet for it. Then I was given a photo camera and the world began to make sense. I've been shooting everything that moves ever since.

I want to make feature films one day (documentaries & fiction) and I want to stop doing some things I'm doing every day to focus more on that Everest.

What would winning mean to me more than anyone else applying? I can't tell you. I feel lucky to have been sent this opportunity already. It's put me into place that has made me want to get travelling with a camera in hand again. It's already made me think about perspective and the need to be getting it.

But winning would mean visiting a culture I've never seen. To a place and time I've always wanted to go to. It would mean being able to see some more life and death flash in front of me.

Tags: 2014 Travel Film Scholarship to Mexico

Comments

1

Wow! This is an impressive video, Matt! Amazing people that you interviewed and really well put together, congrats and good luck!

  Wanderaboot Sep 20, 2014 2:49 AM

2

I really enjoyed this comment you made in the description for your entry to this competition: "Travelling does that to you. It makes you a child again. Because when you're the person in the room with the least amount of knowledge of what's going on you're the one that can learn the most." Very insightful.

Love the intro to your film. Very gripping. Lots of great footage! Adorable shots of the little boy. Interview clips were very inspiring. Overall, great work. Thanks for sharing!

  apriljoy Sep 21, 2014 6:41 AM

About mattmaude


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.