Existing Member?

Tales from Here?!

Cambodia to Thailand-Worst border crossing to date!

THAILAND | Sunday, 27 January 2013 | Views [1984] | Comments [1]

16 January 2013

Time to head to Thailand or we won't get our visa's for India in time to meet Skinny & Myra on the 2nd Feb.

The nice lady in the tourist office tells us it takes 7 hours to get to Bangkok - big bus to the border, then mini bus to Bangkok for $10 each. We get on the 8 a.m. bus, so we should be in Bangkok by mid afternoon. 

The first leg of our journey was a bit tense.  We sat near the front, (as we usually do, if we can) but we could see that the driver looked like he was struggling to keep his eyes open! We get to the border crossing in good time, we are about half way. Then comes the fun part, where we all stand around queuing to get out of Cambodia for a good hour & a half in the midday heat, with our backpacks.  There are 3 border control officers checking bus loads of tourists out of their country.  Then we walk 5 minutes minutes to the Thai border, where we queue again for another hour outside, then another half hour inside the terminal building, before being stamped with visa.  We have now visited 14 countries, that that has to be the worst crossing to date.  We then have to sit around to wait for the minibus to take us to Bangkok.  It is overfull with backpacks, that fall out every top we stop for refueling!  We are sat in the front, which sounds great, except that Matt is in the middle seat, which is over the engine, so it is really hot.  We eventually get dropped off in Khoasan Road at 8P.M!!  In Matt's words - 'F***ing liar"!

 

Comments

1

Al said thanks for his Birthday message. take care keep up the blog ..

  Jane Jan 28, 2013 5:20 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.