Existing Member?

Tales from Here?!

Carnival Tuesday 21st Feb Day 13

TRINIDAD & TOBAGO | Friday, 24 February 2012 | Views [884] | Comments [2]

Today is another big carnival day! (aren't they all?!). Everyone who is taking part in the 'mas' (masquerade), put on their full costume (or lack of them, apparently, most use it as and excuse to wear... not a lot!)and parade through the streets of the capital, to the Savannah, again!, (biggest roundabout in the world apparently!) Here they get their 15 minutes of fame, crossing the main stage, as it is televised live.

We leave the house with Joyce and Chris, who are both dressed in white, as this is the theme for the All Stars today, (white or sailor outfits). They drop us off at the Savannah park at about 8.30 a.m. so we can watch all the groups or bands go past. Lots have already gone through, god knows what time they started, probably about 7. Already, they are drinking, apparently some of the hardcore revelers, don't sleep for 3 days! (Even we draw the line at this!).

We are fortunate to find a table (of sorts) with an umbrella, we are warned it is going to be very hot today, (it has been getting to 35), we don't move from 'our spot', for fear of losing the shade. Some of the sections of bands, have literally got 100's and even thousands of followers. You can imagine how long it takes them to cross the stage. Some of the costumes are amazing, some are 'very small' with lots of feathery head dresses, (we promise photos will be on shortly). 

As the day goes on and the alcohol takes over, it gets louder and louder and the more 'wineing' goes on. Wineing being the traditional dance of T & T. (The closest thing to having sex with your clothes on, is a good way to describe it, according to Matt!).

We see 'some sights', not all good, some of the photos will prove, I'm sure! Entertaining, none the less! 

At about 3 we spot the All Stars lorry coming into the park, we walk down to meet it. There are so many people following it, it is a sea of white! The All Stars have been going for over 75 years, so you can imagine the support they get. I swear, some of them, must have been in the original band! (But they have still followed for hours and hours, doin' d chip!).

It takes us a while to find Chris and Joyce among the crowds, who are all throwing 'talc'! (It's a part of the All Stars custom apparently, they've been doing it for years). We immediately get a  covering, camera bag and all! Still, we haven't smelt that good all day!  Now we have found them, they are not letting us out of their sights. They insist that we join the parade. (They are so protective of us, it is untrue! but nice). This means, that we too, will get our 15 minutes of fame on the main stage! (and we do!) Karen was watching it on telly and she saw US, just as we were coming off the stage, unfortunately, she didn't see her Mum or husband!!

There are so many following, it must have taken them all about 30 minutes to go over the stage. No wonder it takes all day, and part of the night!  

We decide to come home with Joyce, as she has hurt her ankle. Chris will 'chip' back to the pan yard, this will take a several more hours! (As my legs ache from my 'chipping' yesterday, I'm not sorry!). We get back about 5.30 p.m. 

They reckon that 60,000 people were here for Carnival, and what a privilege it was to spend it with the Welsh family. 

Comments

1

Wow - Just been checking out the All Stars atCarnival in Trini on Utube - (not spotted you two yet - what were you wearing?). But isn't the internet fantastic - not only do we have your on the spot descriptions of how to do 'chippin' and 'wineing' - we can also find out what it actualy looks like!!! Loved the 'sea' of white people and the girls in the purple feathery stuff... but so exhausting in all that heat.
Hope you are now safely in - or on your way to - Equador. Look forward to the next blog. Lots Love. Alison x

  Alison Feb 25, 2012 5:36 PM

2

WOW it sound wonderful, what a way to start your year long trip, So pleased that you've had a an experiance that you will remember forever, Bazil is still going strong, we have a lovely hot day today 11c today t shirt weather!!
going to read the next part of your trip love to you both from all of us.

  Jane Feb 26, 2012 1:38 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Trinidad & Tobago

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.