Existing Member?

Out of the bubble......... One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.-- Henry Miller

Going to Varanasi

INDIA | Friday, 3 April 2009 | Views [864]

We felt in need of a taxi this time (that is Gita, Larry and I) and skip the bus. So we taxied to Satna and waited - what was supposed to be 4 hours, but the train was late, 6 hours for the train. The longest hours - so far for me in India! The mosquitoes just ate us alive (of course I stopped taking the Malaria pills when I was feeling so ill and there really weren't very many of them up 'til now!?! and some kid kept  starring at us - Gita told him in Hindi to leave us alone, but he just kept on - very weird.......Another one in the train - also a young fellow.

We finally arrived in Varanasi tired, hungry, dirty and done........early in the morning - very cranky! Our rooms not ready - on top of it and I wished for my phone to ring, which it did about 1/2 hour after my request - it was Coby - how very, very nice!!!

By the evening our happy selves were fully restored, partly because having found this German Bakery, which is also a restaurant - Gita and I ate there twice today and were still weary to leave, knowing we will be back for breakfast.The price a little higher than what we are used to, but, what the heck - all of $28 for the three of us........

Oh, the Guru, I almost forgot...............

So, Mr. Ramprakash Sharam- a very charming old man, who also talked about detachment, like his young student I saw the day before. Nothing new, but I did enjoy his company and his laughter - He said he really liked San Francisco and they like him - especially after arriving he told everybody to be "gay - always be gay - the most important thing in life........".

He told me I was a strong woman and my "spiritual" name is Durga (after he had closed his eyes and held his hands up in my direction..........). Durga after the warrior goddess who is been celebrated around this time in this area............Oh well.............

 

About margitpirsch

Wearing an Indigenous helmet at the museum in Jama

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.