Existing Member?

Out of the bubble......... One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.-- Henry Miller

Meeting up again with Adela and Kris (8/22/15-8/24/15)

USA | Tuesday, 1 September 2015 | Views [1034]

spending the night with Kris and Adela. Lots of stories. Luxury camping under a roof.

spending the night with Kris and Adela. Lots of stories. Luxury camping under a roof.

First time we met was right before Cusco, Peru in September 2013. They were riding north - we went south. We all had stopped at some ruins for lunch going in opposite directions and then wound up spending the night...couldn't stop talking! We let them know what awaited them down the road through Central A. and they helped us plan our trip to Machu Picchu as inexpensive as possible.

They had been on the road for 5 years at that point. Here their blog:
http://www.biketheworld.pl/en
 
We promised each other to stay in touch. Somehow, that didn't happen. Adela wrote me a few emails, but I didn't find them in my inbox. I waited for a sign from them ...tried to find their blog. One of those things: it just didn't happen! I was sad to have "lost them". Through the year, after our return I thought of them many times until one fine morning in February 2015, when I was still in bed reading up on my local news on my cell phone, I saw in the "West Marin Feed", that a polish couple had arrived in Point Reyes on their bicycles and was leaving 10 am this morning to head north towards Alaska on their way around the world.
It was 9am. It takes about 50 minutes to cycle from where I was to Point Reyes Station. I was up and out the door in less than 10 minutes. I just had to catch them. And I did!
When I rolled into the parking lot at the Post office at the meeting point, I shouted: Do you know who I am? 
Adela said: I think so!
And we laughed while hugging each other and starting to tell our stories. I talked them into staying another day. Here the article from the West Marin Feed:

Page 8 • West Marin Citizen • April 16, 2015

Around West Marin

Social media connects old acquaintances with assistance from the Citizen.

This email was sent to the WM Citizen on April 1:

I am a volunteer helping with a San Fran- cisco based Polish American web site www.PoloniaSF.org . I would like to share with you very exciting news. An adventurous Polish couple biking around the world , after more than 25,000 miles, 5 years and 25 days, 4 con- tinents, made it to the San Francisco Bay Area. Adela and Kris are on the way to their next destination: Alaska. For more information check out http://www.biketheworld.pl/en

I am really excited about the couple from Poland who is traveling around the world on their bicycles. I was hoping that you will read this short note about such unusual event and like witnessing those two people being on your local roads in Marin County and continuing their quest around the world. They will be in front of the Point Reyes Station post office around 10 am on April 2.

If you can think of any ways to spread the information about them passing by and wel- coming them, just making people aware that this friendly couple is traveling on bicycles al- ready 5 years one month and 2 days, and counting, .... would be very much appreciated. People at least can make them feel welcome by waving to them, saying hello, flashing head- lights, friendly honking, etc. Attached are some pictures from their trip and myself wel- coming them to the San Francisco Bay Area.

Thank you for your assistance.

Pozdrawiam ciepło i serdecznie, Edmund Lewandowski www.PoloniaSF.org

The Citizen posted this information on Facebook April 1st and shared with the popu- lar face book page, Christian Anthony’s “ The West Marin Feed”, and with KWMR, where it was mentioned on air around 8 am April 2.

The morning of April 2nd Margit Pirsch of Lagunitas saw the posting with a photo on the West Marin Feed. She could not believe that Adela and Kris were passing through the area unbeknownst to her. She and her partner James Polack, also cycling through South America in 2013, had met them in Argentina a year and a half ago and camped together. Margit and James returned home a year ago and had not had any contact with Adela and Chris since. Upon seeing the facebook posting, Margit hopped on her bike, the same one which she had used on her travels, and quickly pedaled to Point Reyes Station for a very happy and unexpected reunion. There was yet another co- incidence: Adela and Kris are now heading to Alaska where they hope to reach in August. Margit and James are also going to Alaska, traveling by air and returning by cycle, at the same time.

Adela and Kris stayed that night with Mar- git and James in Lagunitas, spending a great evening swapping travel stories.

Linda Petersen

James and Margit.....somewhere in S America. Photo courtesy of Margit

Linda Petersen, Margit Pirsch, Adela and Kris at Toby’s April 2. Photo by Edmund Lewandowski 

 
 
 
We met up with James the same evening....the stories never seemed to want to end....
They left the next morning and we had a plan to meet up north - somewhere... Canada or Alaska. Same story: they heading north, James and I riding south. This time we kept sporadically in touch.
Our time had finally come to fly to Anchorage in 
August when we had word from Adela and Kris that they had made it through the Yukon and were now in Tok, AK. Our plan was to meet up in Glennallen. It was roughly half way. We got there as planned, but had no word form those two. James and I had spent the night camping behind a church at the end of town and didn't feel like hanging around too long. The weather was questionable and rain was in the forecast. Winter had started early. What to do? We broke down camp and while I was pondering the question, I said to James: Maybe they are riding down the road while we are behind the church and we will miss them...?
James had seen a water hose up front to fill our water bottles and was heading out, when - low and behold- Adela and Kris rode by at that very moment! Here they were! What a big hello! What timing! They were heading to the library at the other end of town to find an internet connection, since that was the only way they could connect with us. 
We spent two nights camping together and again: The stories never wanted to end! 
Now they are leaving the continent from Anchorage - not sure where...maybe Asia, maybe Australia...maybe we will see them again?!

 

About margitpirsch

Wearing an Indigenous helmet at the museum in Jama

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.