Existing Member?

Out of the bubble......... One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.-- Henry Miller

The trek back to Argentina on the way to Lago Desierto on February 9th

ARGENTINA | Saturday, 26 April 2014 | Views [2588]

We set up our bikes for a photo shoot, but the wind blew them both over....

We set up our bikes for a photo shoot, but the wind blew them both over....

Now off to the 7km single trek we heard so much about.

You can never be fully prepared for what is to come, but - for me- it's good to inform myself as much as I can! I really don't quite get when people are afraid to see pictures of what is to come as if that would ruin their own experience.
We literally had to drag, pull, push and bushwhack our way to Lago Desierto.

 

It was as physically demanding and memorable as described by others. As soon as we left Chile the "road" disintegrated promptly and though it looked like a fine single trek at times (and James rode probably 25% of it) other times it looked just about impossible to keep going. Small rivers, sinking mud, roots and rocks, fallen trees and dense bushes were in the way. The last leg down to the Lake was a mere 30% grade and very narrow - our packed bikes nearly fit and we inched our way forward and downward.....so glad we are not going the other direction.

We were a good group for this undertaking - six out of eight spoke french (in other words, James and I were the only ones not mastering the language) but we really understood each other...down to the basics...actually having a blast! We all had the same goal: make it through this mess without too much damage and with as much fun as we can have in such circumstance.

My wish was granted for it not to rain (maybe that little "don't rain dance" helped -back in O'Higgins) on this trek between the ferries and at the end we were able to plunk down on the grassy area in front of the Argentine aduana, took off our soaking wet and muddy shoes and sox..let them steam in the sun, close my eyes and surrender..

 

 

About margitpirsch

Wearing an Indigenous helmet at the museum in Jama

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.