Existing Member?

Out of the bubble......... One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.-- Henry Miller

Puerto Montt from the 10th to the 13th of January 2014

CHILE | Thursday, 23 January 2014 | Views [1017]

Puerto Montt - finally!!!
Big mile stone!

Puerto Montt - finally!!! Big mile stone!

Puerto Montt, Puerto Montt, Puerto Montt

I have stared at this name many times on the map and thought: gosh, almost done when we get there......Now we are here - not almost done and yes almost done. We still got a ways to go, but the smell of the South Pole is present already. The ocean seems rough and tough and cold and strong and the winds are spicy with a cold nip in the air - how is it down there, some 1800km closer to the end of the world as we know it?
The two days spend here are full of resting, eating, water proofing the tent and our gear and watching the four kittens and their three snow white mommas play. I feel like we are going on a trip down the Carretera Austral -a different trip- a separate trip. Maybe I feel different when I sit on my bike tomorrow and I will write about it but for now this is how it feels - a four to six week "vacation",  riding my loaded bike down this famous most beautiful road of our earth. 
I can't wait to ride my bike - looking forward to camping amongst the volcanos in snow and weather. My head is already back and forth between here and home and there and home. The excitement about the last leg (or rather toe of the enormous elephant) and the excitement to fly home. A few many hours in the plane versus 20 month on the bike.

 

About margitpirsch

Wearing an Indigenous helmet at the museum in Jama

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.