Existing Member?

Out of the bubble......... One's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.-- Henry Miller

Naked in the Catholic Church men's bathroom in Pelequen, Chile

CHILE | Monday, 13 January 2014 | Views [4341]

and then off to Talca for New Years.

On our way from Santiago to Talca - 300km in two days! The road is flat and boring, but it beats Ruta 40 (down the Argentine side) from what we have heard. 
We got to spend the night on route in between the two cities in Pelequen - the church was opened up by a nice padre at 10pm - we had made that date earlier in the day with him and while we were waiting, the plaza provided free wifi connection - always appreciate that! 
He gave us the key to the gate and left .....The nice big, clean men's bathroom was left open for us and I was so happy to strip down and "bathe" - it's been very hot and our bodies are layered with a film of salt, exhaust, dust and who knows what...? I was also quite happy not to have to rid myself from my sweaty clothes in front of Jesus again. There is just something about it....Jesus hanging on the cross with his bloody knees, hands and feet, was present in the room we got to spend the night in  - I really don't mind that part- but washing myself down right there and then is just an entirely different thing. I would have done it, but, as I am saying, I didn't need to. Clean, covered and calm we spend a good night under the eyes of Jesus.
Another 150km and we made it to Talca that same day. Welcomed by friends of friends in CA and two crazy dogs - one a little crazier than the other and all four of them totally sweet. We got to enjoy  a comfy home with excellent home made food. We learned about Mote a typical chilean beverage .....sweet, absolute tasty and unusual and then we went shopping for the last meal of the year in this crazy, crowded super, super big market driving around for a while to find a parking space. The end of the year came quickly after the scrumptious meal and then James and I headed out to see the fire works, while Fer and Pati comforted the dogs through this ordeal of lighting and thunder to greet the new year. I was impressed - this little town really put on a show!! Last year's New Year in San Jose, the capital of Costa Rica, didn't have much to offer, but the highlight was a concert Manuel Monestel had put together in his house. Different highlight and most enjoyable too.
Here we are close to the end of the world in a New Year, surrounded by loving people.
We started 2014 slow and didn't leave the lovely little house until after noon- after eating and hugging and being escorted by two cars (a young family with two little curious boys - lovely as can be- joint the "good bye" crowed).

 

About margitpirsch

Wearing an Indigenous helmet at the museum in Jama

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.