Existing Member?

MiamiStateOfMind

What to do and what not to do when in Miami

USA | Thursday, 29 January 2015 | Views [1005]

Miami in Florida is a Mecca for tourists and has the beaches and the sunshine but if you are a visitor there it is a good idea to know the activities that are recommended and also what to avoid.  

Things to do in Miami

Miami has a selection of sandy beaches you can enjoy. take your pick from Miami Beach Central, Miami Beach North and Miami Beach South. And 85th Street Beach is the best for swimming away from the bustling crowds. It has changing rooms and lifeguards on patrol and is listed in Miami’s “Best Beaches.”

There are many tour companies in Miami and it is well worth taking a tour by boat. There are trips around Biscayne Bay that pass Miami’s “Millionaire’s Row,” where the rich and famous live, speedboat tours along the Miami coast, and excursions to Florida’s Everglades subtropical swamplands.

Another really great way to see the Miami area is to take an unforgettable hot air balloon ride.  You can get balloon rides which you share with up to eight other people or there are private balloon rides in which you can take a loved one with you on a romantic flight through the Florida skies.

Another recommended way to really enjoy the beauty of Miami is to take a Miami Seaplane Tour.  Seaplanes depart from Key Biscayne and taking off from the water is a thrilling experience in itself. Seaplane tours reveal the scenic wonders of Florida and will show you the beaches and coastline in an unforgettable way.

Of course, whatever you decide to do when visiting Miami it is most important that you find some suitable accommodation to stay at. There are plenty of apartments for rent and hotels to choose from.

What Not To Do in Miami

To stay safe when holidaying in Miami it makes good sense to stay in a tourist area and spend your time in safer neighbourhoods, such as Miami Beach, Coral Gables and Key Biscayne. Avoid Liberty City, Carol City, Overtown, and Opa Locka because these inner-city areas are known for high crime rates.

Do not go out at night on your own unless you have to. Whilst the tourist areas of Miami are relatively safe by day there are more drunks about after dark. It is also easy to get lost. If you do get into trouble and need the police, dial 911.

Do not invite crime by wearing expensive jewelry or waving your money about in public. Make sure you keep doors and windows closed and locked and don’t leave valuables in easy-to-find places.

Don’t advertise the fact that you are a tourist and new to Miami in case  a passing crook hears this.

And finally do not go out in the hot Florida sunshine without protection. You do not want to ruin your Miami experience by getting badly sunburnt.

 

Images: Kay GaenslerCharlie Llewellin, Rasmus Bøgeskov LarsenRafael Robayana, Bruce TutenTom CoolPietro & Silvia

Tags: florida, miami, outdoor activities, sights, usa, warnings

 

About mareikestravel


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.