Existing Member?

An Awfully Big Advenure “Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and celebrate the journey.” – Fitzhugh Mullan

Off to the Big Smoke

UNITED KINGDOM | Thursday, 23 April 2015 | Views [324]

Kapai ready to go out exploring

Kapai ready to go out exploring

So I may have been a bit over confident when I said jet lag schmet lag - although my sleeping has been pretty good, I managed to get a rather icky cold which had me pretty much stuck in bed for a couple of days but it didn't stop me from heading into London for my 3 day explore. I was a bit nervous about trying to negotiate the trip in and find my way to the hotel by myself but, as you would expect, it was all very straightforward, exciting in fact. First trip on a double decker bus - yes, of course I sat up the top - then the train into London and first ride in a black cab (the taxi driver was lovely too. Gave me a commentary on the sights on the way to the hotel and wished NZ good luck for the World Cup - "but not too much". Heh). I knew I had picked the right accommodation as soon as I walked in, as Lorde's Royals was playing. Now another very cool thing about the hotel is where is was - the same street as the Muffin Man - yep, I stayed on Drury Lane! Was somewhat disappointed not to see a bakery named The Muffin Man anywhere down the road. Too obvious perhaps?

I stayed in Covent Garden which, for those who don't know, is in the West End near the theatres and fairly central so pretty perfect actually. It was a Sunday but everything was open so off Kapai and I went. Such a lovely area - cobbled streets, great vibe, music, buskers, different accents every few steps, awesome shops. Managed to only spend on food from Marks and Spencers; very restrained I thought.

That evening was a total hightlight for me; my first West End show - Stomp! Those performers are incredible! They created fantastic rhythms and beats with all sorts of household items; everything from brooms to basketballs, sinks to lighters and so much more. The way they worked together was quite amazing, watching and listening to each other so all the beats were perfectly timed. And it was visually so brilliant and funny and interactive too! I wanted it to start all over again when it was finished. I would see it again in a heartbeat. For those of you who are drummers or any sort of musician, I think you would really love it. Go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ7aYQtIldg and you'll see what I mean. The video (and subsequent ones) are of the show I saw with some of the same performers. I was totally blown away. I was a very happy Kiwi wandering back to my hotel that night. There is nothing like live theatre *sigh*

 

About marciekiwi


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.