Existing Member?

Luqey the African Nomad

From Windhoek to Kenya

KENYA | Thursday, 28 May 2015 | Views [462] | Scholarship Entry

We arrived in Nairobi at around 17:30. Few minutes before touch down at the Jomo Kenyatta airport, I could see how vibrant and energetic the city life of Nairobi was. The green hills , sunset, combustion and moving cars in the distance all made the whole view picturesque, I've never seen such a beautiful view in my life before.
Being from Namibia, a country with a small population of around 2 million, I was a bit terrified by the large crowd of people congesting the terminals. I was also fascinated by the Muslim women wearing niqab; 94% of Namibia is considered to be of the Christianity faith, so Muslims are very rare there.
We slept in Nairobi for one night and then left at 5 a.m. to fly to Kisumu. Kisumu county is situated West of Kenya, and is known as the capital of lake Victoria (in Kenya). I only understood how lake Victoria is the largest lake in the world by flying over it. It looks like an ocean; you can see where it begins, but you cannot see where it ends. There are also fishing boats all over the lake. The only difference is that there is a few to no waves at the shore. Upon arrival we were greeted by street vendors selling fruits and African clothing materials. Their fruits are so juicy, and they make candy out of sesame and millet seeds-very tasty! Not to forget the thick sugar-canes they have! Too bad we couldn't stay; we transited from Kisumu to Kendu Bay, the village where my late father is from.
Kendu Bay is a small town, one can say village, also bordering Lake Victoria. We met with my father's family there, they are very warm people. I felt lucky I got to experience other African tribes and their lifestyles. In Kenya, village homesteads are identifiable just by building a group of concrete rooms together. In Namibia, our homesteads are huts enclosed by wood fencing-AKA "stokkiehuise".
We left Kendu Bay after 2 days, went back to Kisumu and left for Nakuru. The landscape on the way to Nakuru is breathtaking! The tea and coffee plantations, forests and green hills would make you want to keep driving up and down that road for days. We stayed in Nakuru also for 2 days at my grandmother's place.
On our way back to Nairobi we drove through the Great Rift Valley, past the inactive volcanic Mount Longonot, and Lake Nakuru (AKA Flamingo/Pink Lake).
Finally! Back to Nairobi in due timing for our evening flight. My souvenirs: Swahili phrases, best memories and a leather handbag.
Asante sana, Kenya!

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About luqey_of_oidiva


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.