Existing Member?

Adventures in Flying by the Seat of my Pants Conquering Aotearoa One Day at a Time

North Island highlights

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 28 March 2011 | Views [451]

Well, I've been in New Zealand for about a month and a half now and I'm sitting in Wellington's 'Wild at Heart' airport waiting for my flight to Dunedin. Winter may be approaching, but I'm ready to take this adventure to the South Island. As I look back on my time in the North, I thought it would be a good time to reminisce on some of my personal highlights that might not have made it to the blog posts:

- Eating at three exclusively vegan restaurants, the first of which I discovered is run by the Supreme Master cult. 

- Hanging out with the hens while doing weeding and felling bamboo in Hamilton

- Checking out the Riff Raff statue in Hamilton

- Seeing an exhibition about Dr. Seuss and original prints from the Lorax in Hamilton!

- Finding out there's a vegan "milk" chocolate bar available in Australia and NZ.

- While trying to locate the first Mormon temple in the South Pacific, stumbling upon a vegan buffet in downtown Hamilton!

- The canoe races at the Ngurawahia marae where it was confirmed that two out of three* pre-teens stated that they believed I was 16yrs. old. (*The third believed I was 15yrs. old)

- Being approached by a kea at a kiwi house to be petted. 

- Watching an amazing amount of monarch butterflies go through their chrysalis at a vegetarian/vegan vineyard outside of Hastings.

- Hanging out with the best dog in the world who may or may not be named after Emile Zola.

- Seeing Saturn at the Carter observatory in Wellington and learning how to spot the Southern Cross to figure out where cardinal south is.

- Domestic air travel in New Zealand: soooo unbelievably easy it makes me weep for the flights I'll have to take in the States when I get back.

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.